cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMG Project and Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning how to use a IMG-Project.I'm totally new with this whole SAP and Solution Manager thing.

My questions:

1. When do I use a IMG-Project in the Configuration-Folder at a Business Process Part ?

2. The effectivelly customizing things has to be in the related system or ?

3. What will I assign then to the project ?

4. What can be choosen in the Object Part ?

I hope you don't think that they are strange questions. But I'm really struggeling with that kind of Problems.

Maybe someone can explain me that on a good exemple ?

Thanks in advance !

Guersel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guersel,

Any problem is welcome! Let me try to explain it for you.

You can access IMG via tx: SPRO. When you're accessing IMG for the first time, there only shows the reference IMG, which contrains all of the customizing tree of your system. If the customer needs to setup a project for some areas for IMG, the IMG project is needed, which is based on reference IMG.

Project IMG is cross-client, and therefore, would be visable in any of the client. To access the project IMG admin, you can use tx: SPRO_ADMIN. So after the defination for IMG project, each member of the project team can access the certain view of IMG to do the configuration for Business Process Part. Since IMG project is based on system level, you have to create the IMG project individually to each system involved.

Above senario has nothing to do with SAP Solution Manager, since that's the standard customizing method. With SAP Solution Manager, you can create a solution manager project (eg. implementation project), and build the link to all of the other IMG project, so that solution manager can centrally use solution documentation and many other fucntions to help the project.

Well, your 4th question is not quite clear, could you help to explain it more detailedly?

Thanks, Jett

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jett,

thanks for your Reply.

I understand the whole IMG things ! But was is not really clear for me is following.

I can setup some customizing settings in the related system under a named IMG project !

So every Project-Member will do his configuration and store it under is own task number. And all are

consolidated under one "Order/Task"-number.

But was is not clear for me, can I just use Solution Manager to refer to the corresponding IMG Task ?

So what would happen if the Solution would implementated for a new location ? Has all settings has do be done agan ? If yes, what are the benefits of Solution Manager rather then documentation ?

I have assumed that ifyou have set it up once, you just can roll out that Solution.

Concerning my 4th question:

If you choose a Business Process Task and got to the Configuration Folder, you can chose a IMG object as a type. Then youhave to assign a Logical Component and are also be able to choose a object? Its the 3th column. But if you try to use the selection assistant there comes the whole structure view of the project. What do you have to select here ?

Thanks, Guersel

Edited by: Gürsel Cosgun on Apr 13, 2009 5:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guersel,

1. "But was is not clear for me, can I just use Solution Manager to refer to the corresponding IMG Task ?"

Yes, you can just use Solution Manager to to perform IMG Task. You can logon SAP Solution Manager, then try the transaction SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN to create a new project (The interface of SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN is similar to SPRO_ADMIN). In the project, go to tab "System Landscape" -> "IMG Projects", here, you can link SAP Solution Manager with any of the IMG projects. (You can centrally link serveral systems here, so that all of the project work can be performend via SAP Solution Manager)

2. "So what would happen if the Solution would implementated for a new location ? Has all settings has do be done agan ? If yes, what are the benefits of Solution Manager rather then documentation ?"

SAP Solution Manager is a central tool for project admin, it provides the function called "Global Roll-out". Once your project has been finished, all of the projct documents, configuration details, test cases maintained in solution manager can be transfered to other branches. In this case, lots of works of project documentations can be saved.

You should still do the configuration in the new systems, since solution manager dosen't store the detailed customizing BC sets and programs of the satellite systems. But you still have other better options. For example, you can do an system copy from the existing production system to the new development system in other banches. Since all of the documentations are available in solution manager, you can just update the copied solution instead of a new implementation, which you can benefits from saving lots of project efforts.

Besides, there're lots of benefits:

1. if you perform the project in solution manager, SAP GO-LIVE check service is much easier, which can reduce the risk of go-live.

2. If you needs to perform Business Process Monitoring in the operation phase of this solution, that would be much easier. Since all of the core business process and KPIs have already been maintained during implementaiton.

3. Upgrade risk will be reduced. solution manager has tools to identify the core business process and calculate the upgrade risk and effort. All of the tool is free of charge. But the prerequisites are, solution documentation is maintained.

4 ..........

Regarding your fourth question, the selection pops-up, then you need to select the related tree of IMG project of this step. In the realization phase, the configuration work will only see the restricted areas of IMG tree, so that the IMG project view is related to the business steps of current configuration in solution manager.

My suggestion is that, you can check the knowledge transfer URL http://service.sap.com/rkt-solman -> SAP Solution Manager 7.0 -> click on the role of Solution Consultant on the right of new page, check the documents that you are interested.

Hope that helps,

Thanks, Jett

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jett,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

You answered all my questions. I will read the documentation on the SAP Support Portal to get a better knowledge of the Solution Manager possibilities.

Regards

Guersel

Answers (0)