IMG Project and Objects
I have a question concerning how to use a IMG-Project.I'm totally new with this whole SAP and Solution Manager thing.
1. When do I use a IMG-Project in the Configuration-Folder at a Business Process Part ?
2. The effectivelly customizing things has to be in the related system or ?
3. What will I assign then to the project ?
4. What can be choosen in the Object Part ?
I hope you don't think that they are strange questions. But I'm really struggeling with that kind of Problems.
Maybe someone can explain me that on a good exemple ?
Thanks in advance !
1. "But was is not clear for me, can I just use Solution Manager to refer to the corresponding IMG Task ?"
Yes, you can just use Solution Manager to to perform IMG Task. You can logon SAP Solution Manager, then try the transaction SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN to create a new project (The interface of SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN is similar to SPRO_ADMIN). In the project, go to tab "System Landscape" -> "IMG Projects", here, you can link SAP Solution Manager with any of the IMG projects. (You can centrally link serveral systems here, so that all of the project work can be performend via SAP Solution Manager)
2. "So what would happen if the Solution would implementated for a new location ? Has all settings has do be done agan ? If yes, what are the benefits of Solution Manager rather then documentation ?"
SAP Solution Manager is a central tool for project admin, it provides the function called "Global Roll-out". Once your project has been finished, all of the projct documents, configuration details, test cases maintained in solution manager can be transfered to other branches. In this case, lots of works of project documentations can be saved.
You should still do the configuration in the new systems, since solution manager dosen't store the detailed customizing BC sets and programs of the satellite systems. But you still have other better options. For example, you can do an system copy from the existing production system to the new development system in other banches. Since all of the documentations are available in solution manager, you can just update the copied solution instead of a new implementation, which you can benefits from saving lots of project efforts.
Besides, there're lots of benefits:
1. if you perform the project in solution manager, SAP GO-LIVE check service is much easier, which can reduce the risk of go-live.
2. If you needs to perform Business Process Monitoring in the operation phase of this solution, that would be much easier. Since all of the core business process and KPIs have already been maintained during implementaiton.
3. Upgrade risk will be reduced. solution manager has tools to identify the core business process and calculate the upgrade risk and effort. All of the tool is free of charge. But the prerequisites are, solution documentation is maintained.
Regarding your fourth question, the selection pops-up, then you need to select the related tree of IMG project of this step. In the realization phase, the configuration work will only see the restricted areas of IMG tree, so that the IMG project view is related to the business steps of current configuration in solution manager.
My suggestion is that, you can check the knowledge transfer URL http://service.sap.com/rkt-solman -> SAP Solution Manager 7.0 -> click on the role of Solution Consultant on the right of new page, check the documents that you are interested.
Hope that helps,