cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal XI R2 x64 Runtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have read several posts on how to downgrade your .NET application to run older versions of x64 runtime, essentially 10.2 and 10.5. All of our new reports are being build on XI R2 functionality, which is not fully available in the older version (and the older versions are clunky at best, if you can get it to function). In addition, licensing on the 10.x version of Crystal Reports is much more restrictive and requires additional cost for internal organization deployment.

In addition to the above, almost all new servers (at least the enterprise ones we buy), are standard 64 bit. As we build mostly web enabled application and they all run 64 bit, downgrading IIS to run 32 bit on our web servers is not feasible in our environment. Also, to restrict 64 bit machines to 32 bit processing defeats the purpose of the new architecture and limits the effective use of available server memory.

My big question is this, when is SAP going to offer a x64 bit version of the Crystal XI R2 product? The documentation on both the XI R2 SP4 and SP5 documentation states that it will run x64 on x64, but not such runtime package seems to be available. Input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your response.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition, licensing on the 10.x version of Crystal Reports is much more restrictive and requires additional cost for internal organization deployment.

- not sure that this is true... or perhaps don't understand the actual issue there((?)

+My big question is this, when is SAP going to offer a x64 bit version of the Crystal XI R2 product? +

- I suspect never. Currently shipping product is Crystal reports 2008 (12.0) and it is not 64 bit. Perhaps the next version of CR, but I have not heard anything about that.

The documentation on both the XI R2 SP4 and SP5 documentation states that it will run x64 on x64, but not such runtime package seems to be available.

There is a difference between what OS the product will ruin on (64, yes) and the runtime it must use (32 bit). E.g; you can run CR XI r2, or CR 2008 on a 64 bit OS, but you will still need to use 32 bit runtime.

As it happens I am working on a document that I hope clarifies the issue. I am attaching the doc here. Keep in mind that this doc is not completed. I'd consider it a late "beta"...

Ludek

P.S.; as you surmise, running CR XI + reports in CR 10.x is not a good idea - if these reports take advantage of features such as cascading or dynamic parameters, xcelsius, flash, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition, licensing on the 10.x version of Crystal Reports is much more restrictive and requires additional cost for internal organization deployment.

"- not sure that this is true... or perhaps don't understand the actual issue there((?)"

If you read the licence agreement supplied with Crystal 10, it clearly states that it can be used for development only, and any production use requires an additional runtime licence for each deployed instance. Crystal XI removed that restriction, allowing all internally deployed applicaitons without restriction or additional licensing. This is one of the reasons we went with XI Developer in the first place (and are rather dissapointed that the necessary runtimes are not available).

If they never intend to provide adaquate runtimes for their products, how do they expect developers to build supported applictions? They should let the customer base know that up front. This day and age, even workstations are being built on 64bit platforms. For no support to be provided just seems short sighted. Please excuse my rant, but I have been working on this issue for the last couple of weeks, without success.

"There is a difference between what OS the product will ruin on (64, yes) and the runtime it must use (32 bit). E.g; you can run CR XI r2, or CR 2008 on a 64 bit OS, but you will still need to use 32 bit runtime."

This limitation is not specified anywhere in any of the documentation provided. Service Pack 4 even stated that this was an added feature.

I know it is not wise to develop XI reports that use the 10.x runtime, but we can not simply tell our user base, that are using Crystal XI, that "Hey we give you a product to use, but you can't use it. Sorry, the vendor doesn't support your features".

If someone can provide some possible solution, I would be all ears. I don't think the users want to hear more about the problem, but what can be done to resolve it (but that is just me).

From all the posts I have read, scouring the web for informaiton, I am not the only person experencing this problem. SAP should realize that this is a problem and determine a way to accomidate their developer base.

Also an FYI, your document had no text. Thought you would like to know.

Edited by: Jason Gowins on Apr 10, 2009 2:50 AM

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you didn't understand the key point that Ludek was making. Crystal XI applications, even though they are 32-bit, can run on a 64-bit platform. I have developed a couple of such applications and they run quite happily on 64 platforms.

If your experience is different, please state how the problem manifests.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is documentation in the SAP Notes:

[Support for 64-bit mode in VS .NET 2005 with Crystal Reports XI and XI Release 2|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes_boj/sdn_oss_boj_dev/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do]

To get around it you can try the following

Wheen compiling the application in Visual Studio .NET 2005 you will need to force it to 32 bit mode.

You can do this by right-clicking the project name in the Solution Explorer and select Properties.

For VB.NET

Click Compile, then Advanced Compile Options. For the Target CPU drop down box, change it from "AnyCPU" to "x86" then click OK.

For C#.NET

Click Build and change the Platform Target option from "Any CPU" to "x86".

You should then be able to run the application on a 64 bit OS without error.

Jason

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you misunderstand the licensing model of CR 10.2 and CR 10.5. Both versions can be used to develop and both versions can be distributed (else why have the msm and msi files?). The only thing you have to do with those two versions (unlike the stand-alone versions) is get a written authorization to use the runtime:

"To deploy server applications to third parties, written authorization from Business Objects is required. You can get authorization by registering your application online at no extra cost."

That authorization can be obtained here:

http://www.businessobjects.com/products/reporting/crystalreports/net/register_webapp/form.asp

Other than the above, I think this thread has been beat to death and all the info re 32 bit / 64 bit is either directly answered in the posts in this thread or in the Article I attached.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just setting the application to build an MSI by setting the 32bit option does not work for me. I have included the same MSMs as I use in 32bit and when I try to run crystal rports in the application when installed on Windows7 64bit, I get the error:

Crystal Reports

An error has occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime.

Either the Crystal Repotts registry key permissions are insufficient or the Crystal

Reports runtime is not installed correctly.

Please install the appropriate Crystal Reports redistributable (CRRedist*.msi)

containing the correct version of the Crystal Reports runtime (d6, 4, or Itanium)

required. Please go to http://www.businessobjects.com/support for more

information.

OK

Naturally, I assumed that there should be some separate MSMs for x64. I cannot find them. I have looked for x64 bit MSMs for CR XI R12 bout I cannot find any. Has anyone overcome this problem with 64bit?

-Jeff

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See [this|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56787567] wiki. If that does not help, please create a new thread as this one was marked answered.

Ludek

Answers (0)