Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode BI system Settings

0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are getting a brand new BI Unicode system.

I have read few documents related to Unicode and have folowing doubts.

1. what are the basic settings need to be done for AutoText translation of BW objects?

For example , If I login in French , I should be able to see all descriptions in French for all developments without we maintaining it in each of the logon languages.

I think it is possible in unicode systems.

2. How to find whether my source systems(R/3) are single code page or MDMP.

3. Any other settings we need to do for BI Unicode systems while extracting the data and any compatability issues we can expect.

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. I am not sure what you mean by Autotext translation. However please note that Unicode itself does not give you "automatic translation". If you create your own text in EN, it will usually not be translated automatically into FR. Even if there is an application in BW supporting this (I do not know of such tool), it would be completely independent of Unicode.

2. You can check entries in table TCPDB: if you have one single entry beginning with 1 (like 1100) or 8 (like 8000), you have a single code page system. If you have more than one entry or an entry beginning with 6 (like 6100), you have an MDMP or Blended Code Page system.

a) If you have an MDMP system on the R/3 side, then you need to adapt your extractors. See https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/fdbedb90-0201-0010-4483-b64ac397...

and

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700009026232002E

Please note that SAP recommends to go to Unicode as soon as possible especially in this case.

b) You should also check SAP note 1319517 --> point 5

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Solution Management

Globalization Services

SAP AG

4 REPLIES 4

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. I am not sure what you mean by Autotext translation. However please note that Unicode itself does not give you "automatic translation". If you create your own text in EN, it will usually not be translated automatically into FR. Even if there is an application in BW supporting this (I do not know of such tool), it would be completely independent of Unicode.

2. You can check entries in table TCPDB: if you have one single entry beginning with 1 (like 1100) or 8 (like 8000), you have a single code page system. If you have more than one entry or an entry beginning with 6 (like 6100), you have an MDMP or Blended Code Page system.

a) If you have an MDMP system on the R/3 side, then you need to adapt your extractors. See https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/fdbedb90-0201-0010-4483-b64ac397...

and

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700009026232002E

Please note that SAP recommends to go to Unicode as soon as possible especially in this case.

b) You should also check SAP note 1319517 --> point 5

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Solution Management

Globalization Services

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Dear Nils Buerckel,

Thanks alot for the Information.

Actually what i mean of Auto Text translation is If I create an BW object say for Example an infopackage in logon language 'EN' and maintain the description of it aswell.

When I again login in logon language 'DE' the description of the infopackage will automatically get translated to DE language or not.

If yes what are the settings needs to be done.Generallly we have to maintain in each of the languages if we want to see description in Non Unicode systems.

Is it possible to see descriptions in all languages if I maintain in one language.

Also if there are any other common settings we need to do BW Unicode system pls let me know.

Thanks again!!

Regards,

Ugendhar

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ugendhar,

again I have to stress that the language handling regarding translation is NOT different between Unicode and Non-Unicode systems.

Unfortunately I do not have the detailed knowledge about specific BW objects - I can just give you a general answer concerning ABAP objects. So maybe for an BW info package there are different rules ...

1) Secondary language access (please also have a look at SAP note 1156507)

This is the commonly used expression for the system reaction in case of missing translations - e.g. you create a language dependent text and do not translate this one to other languages.

For ABAP based system, the system response is not always the same for missing translations.

The system displays the texts in the original language, in the secondary

language (defined in profile parameter zcsa/second_language - in particular screen texts, ABAP Dictionary texts and menu

texts) or as technical labels (for example, selection texts or units of

measurement).

Especially for customizing texts, the typical behaviour is to show empty fields.

Therefore, SAP recommends to perform a language supplementation right after a

language import and later on a regular basis (see SAP note 315375).

As a consequence, you will see the texts in all supplemented languages in the same language.

If you maintain it in EN, you will see the text only in EN in all other languages.

Please also have a look at

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700002027182008E

--> page 21

2) Translation

If you want to see the according text translated into French language (when logon with FR), you will need to actively translate it - as I already stated before, I do not know of a tool doing this automatically !

In general, you can only extract languages to SAP NetWeaver BI, which are defined in the profile parameter ZCSA/INSTALLED_LANGUAGES (language vector).

All the points stated above are valid for Unicode AND Non-Unicode systems.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

0 Kudos

Dear Nils Buerckel,

Thanks alot!!!

I will go through all the SAP notes and get back to you if I have any doubts.

Regards,

Ugendhar