Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method to transport changes from DEV to Prod Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

I have a requirement here :

I have made some changes to the DEV environment, which i want to move to the production Environment.

Changes mainly include the Structural changes, XSD's, Import maps, Remote systems, Export Maps, Validations etc. Please note that I DO NOT WANT to transport the data from DEV to Prod environment.

I can see 2 options available :

1. Export/Import Repository schema - But as far as i know, the import and export maps will not be transported auomatically through Export/Import Schema.

2. Archive/Unarchiving Without data -

Here are my questions :

1. Is the 2nd option feasible looking at the changes I need to transport? If yes, is there any recommended guide available by SAP suggesting the 2nd option for trnasport mechanism.( Please sendme the links)

2. Will it affect the data in Prodcution in any chance?

3. Is there anything Archiving/Unarchiving without data cannot handle.

4. Will it impact any other normal running of Production environment.

Please respond to my queries.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Kindly let us know if you need any further information related to this or if i can help you in clarifying certain things.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Since we are dealing here with the Production repository, we have decided not to go with Import/Export repository schema for this time. At any cost, we cant take any risk with the existing maps in Prod. We will do it manually this time.

Will be closing this thread now. Have rewarded points for your valuable replies.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

If you use Archive/UnArchive option without data then you cannot persists the PROD env since you need to UnArchive the entire repository which is empty and then you need to move the PROD data into this repository.

1. Is the 2nd option feasible looking at the changes I need to transport? If yes, is there any recommended guide available by SAP suggesting the 2nd option for trnasport mechanism.( Please sendme the links)

Ans. I don't think, 2nd option is feasible as a mentioned earlier. This option should be used when we need the entire repository without data which is not the case you are looking for.

2. Will it affect the data in Prodcution in any chance?

Ans. If you are using 2nd option then this question is not related because when you UnArchive, you will get the new repository so this wont affect the existing repository at all.

3. Is there anything Archiving/Unarchiving without data cannot handle.

Ans. Workflows

4. Will it impact any other normal running of Production environment.

Ans. If you are using 1st option then you need to unload the PROD repository first and then import the changes. For option 2 its not related.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Jitesh,

Thanks for your replies.

1) In other words, if I archive a repository without data and Un-archive it on an existing repository(which has data), the data in the target data will be lost. Right?

So if this is the case, i will not be able to use Archive/Unarchive option in my case.

2) So, my next question is whether I can use the Export/Import repository schema in my case? I have few structural changes, import maps, syndication maps and validations to be exported from Dev to Prod. I think import and syndication maps will have to exported and imported manually. Am i correct?

3) And If i use the Import schema option, will it impact the existing maps in the Prod repository because of remote key mapping issues?

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

1) In other words, if I archive a repository without data and Un-archive it on an existing repository(which has data), the data in the target data will be lost. Right?

So if this is the case, i will not be able to use Archive/Unarchive option in my case.

Ans. Perfect. This is what i mean to say.

2) So, my next question is whether I can use the Export/Import repository schema in my case? I have few structural changes, import maps, syndication maps and validations to be exported from Dev to Prod. I think import and syndication maps will have to exported and imported manually. Am i correct?

Ans. Yes Nitin. You need to first take the backup of Import and Syndication maps by using Export command and then you can Import them later. While Export/Import repository schema will help you to get Validations, Assignments, XSDs, etc transported to PROD.

3) And If i use the Import schema option, will it impact the existing maps in the Prod repository because of remote key mapping issues?

Ans. No I dont think so.

Nitin, One suggession is try this option locally first before doing the things on PROD.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Thanks again for replying.

The last point that i want to ask in detail is, if I use import Schema option, I have heard that there are Remote key ID which are associated in Import and Syndication Mapping.

So there are 2 things which can happen :

1. New import maps( with new XSD's) disturb the existing maps. ( Which is not at all desirable in my case)

2. New import maps( with new XSD's) do not get transported well in my target system and I might have to perform the map(only the new maps) again in target. ( This can be still considered).

Jitesh, could you please try at your end (as I do not access to my SBX here) and confirm me asap.

This would close my thread.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

As per my understanding, when you import new maps, unless and untill the map name is different it wont affect the existing maps as there will not be be any relation between the two.

Also, by this

New import maps( with new XSD's) do not get transported well in my target system and I might have to perform the map(only the new maps) again in target. ( This can be still considered).

I can say that it would be ok if you don't get the maps transported and Import/Export repository schema will not transport maps so if you think importing maps may affect the existing ones then don't import them.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

I tried the Import Schema command and as stated earlier it didn't affect the existing maps. When you import the maps, exported earlier then it ask for map name just make sure that you have give the unique name else it overwrites the existing one and you will loose the earlier mapping.

Hope this would be helpful to you.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja