Did you mean: 

What is XI ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

What is XI ???

Can anybody put some light on this ???

What is the Backgroud of it ???

What is the perquisite for doing a course on XI ??

Do we have Development and Adminstration in XI like we have in Portal ???

Any knowledge sharing please !!!

Many Thanks

KK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kk,

XI is the integration platform , a part of the Netweaver Stack that enables you to implement cross-system processes. It enables you to connect systems from different vendors (non-SAP and SAP) in different versions and implemented in different programming languages (Java, ABAP, and so on) to each other.

SAP Exchange Infrastructure is based on an open architecture, uses open standards (in particular those from the XML and Java environments).

The best way to learn XI would

be to use the Wealth of material available in XI from its forums, weblogs, presentations ,etc.

Also, I would suggest this link on SAP help for any info that you want on XI,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/14/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Further, this thread deals with everything that is needed for a starter on XI. Do check it out,

/message/527697#527697 [original link is broken]

As for development and administration, well there are a few tasks in XI, that need BASIS info and knowledge while the rest are mostly a developers task.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI KK

You can take a glimpe at the elearning sessions.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/xi?rid=/webcontent/uuid/a680445e-0501-0010-1c94-a8c4a... [original link is broken]

Regards,

Go:khan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exchange Infrastructure

(XI) is an Integral part of SAP Net weaver. Position of XI is in the process integration layer of Net weaver stack.

The aim of XI is to integrate different versions of both SAP and non-SAP systems implemented on different platforms (Java, ABAP, and so on). XI enables you to implement cross-system business processes.

XI is based on an open architecture, makes use of open standards and offers services that are essential in a heterogeneous and complex system landscape: namely a runtime infrastructure for message exchange, configuration options for managing business processes and message flow, and options for transforming message contents between the sender and receiver systems.

The application-specific contents are transferred from the sender to the receiver in a freely defined XML schema (XML: extended Markup Language) using the Integration Engine. The structure of a message is therefore determined by the interface data structures used.

The central concept is that, during the design phase, all interfaces required are initially developed independently of a platform and made available in the form of a WSDL description(WSDL: Web Service Description Language). Using this description you can, for example,

define mappings between interfaces without this having an effect on an existing system landscape. All design phase data is saved in the Integration Repository to be implemented later in a particular system landscape. In this second phase, the configuration phase, you can

select components, interfaces, and mappings saved in the Integration Repository that are appropriate for your system landscape and business processes, and assign them to each other in logical routing. The data resulting from this configuration process is saved in the

Integration Directory and you can call and evaluate it from the runtime of the Exchange Infrastructure.

Features:

XI enables you to do the following:

· Develop cross-system applications. You can exchange multiple system messages using the runtime infrastructure and synchronous or asynchronous communication. You can either develop new and platform-independent interfaces, or connect to existing interfaces

at runtime, using adapters.

· Adjust message values and structures for the receiver, using mappings.

· Centrally maintain the message flow between logical systems in the system landscape,using logical routing.

· Connect the logical receiver to a technical system, using Services; this system can easily be switched using this abstraction level (technical routing).

· Describe your system landscape as the basis for the description of your cross-system business process.

former_member91687
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KK,

XI is an integration technology and platform which provides a single point of integration for all systems, SAP and non SAP. You can use it for sap and non sap applications, A2A and B2B scenarios,synchronous and a synchronous communication. XI comes at the process integration layer of the netweaver stack.

XI uses web standards like wsdl, xml and soap messaging for describing objects and communicating with other systems. XI is used by MDM,SRM, aApps etc..

XI is not a single component but rather a collection of components that work together to implement the integration scenarios.You have the design time, configuration time and runtime components. In brief you have the System landscape directory, Integration builder, Integration server, each doing a specific task. You can find all info pertaining to this on sdn and help.sap.com.

As such there is no prerequisite, just the enthusiasm to learn!

Regards,

Chandra

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KK,

XI is SAP's message oriented Process Integration platform. For detailed info about xi, visit http://service.sap.com/xi

There are no absolute prerequisites for doing a course in XI, although an undrstanding of SAP, ABAP and XML would be very helpful indeed. optionally, you should also know Java and XSLT, along with protocols like HTTP, JMS and SOAP.

You do have Development and Administration in XI, like the portal. There are separate trainings for Basis consultants and Dev consultants for XI.

Another useful link for you is the SAP help on XI

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/14/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Cheers

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

<b><i>What is XI ???</i></b>

XI is a <b>Middle Ware</b>, developed by SAP.

<b><i>What is the Backgroud of it ???</i></b>

I didn't get this question.

<b><i>What is the perquisite for doing a course on XI ??</i></b>

Java or ABAP Programming knowledge. XI is like 60% Configuration and 40% Coding.

<b><i>Do we have Development and Adminstration in XI like we have in Portal ???</i></b>

Yes.

Regards,

Nagarjuna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

XI is middleware by SAP for integration. Mainly it is used if one is any SAP system and other end can be any system. You will get much more information on http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/0d/5ab43b274a960de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

There is no prequisite for doing XI course but it is preferable if you have technical background. Java, ABAP and XML knowledge will be useful to get into XI.

Yes, we do have development and administration in XI.

This forum is right place to get going into XI. -:)

Thanks,

Prateek