cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the retention Policy to recovery window.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using Netbackup as a our third party tool for corporate backups and have used brbackup with backint on Windows for many years with great success.We would like to incorporate RMAN incremental backups for our backup strategy. Currently our retention policies through netbackup are:

Backup Retention

Daily Online 2 weeks.

Weekly Online 4 weeks.

Monthly Online 12 months.

Redologs 4 weeks.

We would like to continue to retain the monthly backup. Other than setting the retention policy window to 365, how could we do this???? We would like to avoid growing a huge control file.

Regards

Scott

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Scott,

> We would like to avoid growing a huge control file.

Ok nice approach, but the (RMAN) data in the control file is reused after the value of the init parameter CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME. (has nothing todo with the retention policy)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams029.htm#CHDDBCDB

> Other than setting the retention policy window to 365, how could we do this????

You can use the KEEP clause with the command BACKUP or CHANGE.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta035.htm#i97063

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan.

So if I created a new script for monthly backups where would I put the 'UNTIL TIME =SYSDATE+365' clause???? In the initSID.utl file or initSID.sap?

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Scott,

i am sorry, but i am not using the BR*Tools to perform RMAN backups.

RMAN itself give you the possibility to keep the backups longer than the retention policy, but if this function is already implemented in the BR*Tools / backint - i have no idea.

I have checked the RMAN parameters for the BR*Tools, but don't find any option for extending the BACKUP command.

Regards

Stefan