Did you mean: 

ECC 6.0 upgrade to EHP4 via EHPI - Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm upgrading an ECC 6 system to EHP 4.

In the extraction process I get the a strange error message:

Error: unknown hostname "<hostname>"

The message server of your SAP system is not running,

or the hostnames known by the message server are wrong.

I've checked. The message server is running and the hostname is known in my host file and in the server's hostfile.

Any idea's to what this is causing?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<removed_by_moderator>

Repeating the same info is considered point-hunting, please read the "Rules of Engagement"

Edited by: Juan Reyes on Oct 1, 2009 9:37 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rrrrright. Like I said. lowercase = small letters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please help on this. I am getting the same error.

ERROR: unknown hostname "<hostname>"

The message server of your SAP system is not running,

or the hostnames known by the message server are wrong.

We have HA installation on Solaris.

Regards

Dhiraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone resolved this problem? I'm running into the same problem. Thing is also that if I check SAPehpichk.log, the 'SAPHOST' is set to my systemname in lower case. I have run into a similar problem on another machine, where I had to put everything in uppercase. On that machine, SAPehpichk.log states it in uppercase, on this machine it isn't. Where does the installer gets its parameters from? I've checked profiles, SMICM and environment variables.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem solved: replaced ALL entries regarding hostname or sapsystemname or whatever in HOSTS file and PROFILES to lowercase.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What step are you in? Is it looking for your switch instance? You should have two instances running. Your original instance and your switch instance. The switch instance is the one that is upgraded and then switched during the downtime. I had a situation where that was not available after I shutdown and I had to manually start that instance.

Lee