cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Os upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning for a OS upgrade of our SAP server. Current SAP system details.

SAP: ECC 5.0 (32 bit)

DB: Oracle

Our plan to execute this upgrade:

1. Complete offline backup of data of the current system using brbackup.

2. Also backup the file system structure and profile directories.

3. Install a 64 Operating system in a new system with 64 bit hardware.

4. Install 32 bit SAP ECC 5.0 on the new system.

5. Restore the backup of data into new system.

Queries:

1. Please let me know is it advisable to Install 32 bit SAP ECC 5.0 on 64 bit OS and will SAP support in case of any application issues in future?

2. If we install 64 bit SAP, can we restore the databackup of 32 bit system into the new system ?

Regards,

Nallasivam.D

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 4. Install 32 bit SAP ECC 5.0 on the new system.

> 5. Restore the backup of data into new system.

You can do that in "one step" using a homogeneous system copy. It's not necessary to first install a complete system and then overwrite that with a backup.

> 1. Please let me know is it advisable to Install 32 bit SAP ECC 5.0 on 64 bit OS and will SAP support in case of any application issues in future?

see above

> 2. If we install 64 bit SAP, can we restore the databackup of 32 bit system into the new system ?

Yes - but no need to install first.

See

Note 960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

Thanks a lot for your answer. In my scenario, I don't have additional hardware to go for an system copy. So this is my plan.

Plan A:

1. Take a full offline backup of ECC 5.0 / Oracle 9i (32 bit) system to a tape and also the file system backup to tape.

2. Upgrade my hardware to 64 bit.

3. Install 64 bit Windows Enterprise Edition Operating System.

4. Install 64 bit SAP ECC 5.0 / Oracle 9i.

5. Restore the offline backup and SAP profiles from tape backup. (32 bit backup)

Plan B:

1. Take a full offline backup of ECC 5.0 / Oracle 9i (32 bit) system to a tape and also the file system backup to tape.

2. Upgrade my hardware to 64 bit.

3. Install 64 bit Windows Enterprise Edition Operating System.

4. Install 32 bit SAP ECC 5.0 / Oracle 9i.

5. Restore the offline backup and SAP profiles from tape backup. (32 bit backup).

Please let me know is it advisable to do Plan B and will SAP support in future for any application issues.

Correct me if both plans will not work in real time scenario.

Regards,

Nallasivam.D

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nallasivam,

I would suggest you go for Plan A - to address the limitation for 32 bit system. you should also consider some points.

- follow the system copy guide for oracle specific system copy.

- database restore method from 32bit to 64-bit is supported. so no need to worry about it.

- if you want to upgrade your database to 64bit, then consider the section "Generating the Control File Structure" of system copy guide which instructs adding few extra lines to control.sql

Finally, if you have any doubt regarding support from SAP, please get it confirmed from SAP before proceeding.

Regards,

Debasis.