cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM - Storage Unit Management Setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All:

We have a situation in our company where we have storage rooms - cold or hot or warm (which we are going to define as Storage Types within a warehouse). There are no physical demarcation within each of these room to define storage sections or storage bins. We have multiple movable carts, each having a unique ID and each of these carts may have multiple trays with each tray having unique id. Any one tray will have multiple samples of the same SKU and could be of different lots. The business wants us to track these samples at the tray level and do not care about tracking these SKU below the tray level.

We were thinking of defining the carts as Storage bins and that pose some problems. These carts can be pulled from room to another room (ex.from cold to hot). In SAP terms, it will mean that you are moving the Storage bin of one storage type to another storage type, which I believe is not possible.

So, can we have a SUM where the SU # is a combination of Cart and Tray? If that is so, how can I handle a situation where a tray of samples is pulled out of one cart and moved to another cart? What types of transactions will be necessary?

Pl. help.

Thanks

Narayanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lcastedoaafintl
Explorer
0 Kudos

You can also try Put Away strategies R or Q. One of those two generates a dynamic bin number and prompts you for that bin number. There you could enter your cart-tray number. I had used that strategy in the past when we were receiving railroad cars into the plant and since we were posting the GR for them in the yard, we had to somehow know where the stock was, so we were using the railroad car number as the bin number in Storagy Type "Yard".

Hope this helps.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moving storage bin - I like this idea, maybe SAP AG sometimes should read the posts and get impressed.

As I know this is not feasible in the standard system, you can use only workarounds...

1. Storage units has similar features as storage bins but of course they are not the same. I mean you could define:

Storage type1 Bin1

Storage typeN BinN

...and use a handling unit management. Each cart would be represented by one HU (SU in WM) and each tray would be represented by a HU - these would be nested in the HU of the cart.

I'm not sure whether this would work properly.

2. Warehouse structure:

Storage type1: Bin1, ..., BinN (no of Bin1 = no of cart1, ..., no of BinN = no of cartN)

Storage type1: Bin1, ..., BinN (no of Bin1 = no of cart1, ..., no of BinN = no of cartN)

...trays would be simple SUs. If cartX goes from storage type1 to storage type2, the content of BinX in storage type1 would be moved to BinX in storage type2 (e.g. by LT10).

Disadvantage of 2nd idea is that you wouldn't know where the empty carts are in the WH (or you could use a dummy SU with material "cart" and move this always together with the stock - if the cart is empty, you would see only the SU of cart in the suitable bin).

I would say 2nd idea is more viable / sensible.

I have no better ideas at the moment, maybe the experts can help you.

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Apr 6, 2009 11:07 PM