Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Add-In for existing ABAP system

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We will require a Java AS installed on each of our existing ERP6 systems(DEV, TST, PRD) for ADS and interactive forms. I am busy with a test installation on a sandbox system.

These systems were initially installed with SR1 but I figure it wouldn't matter if I used SR3 to install the Java Add-In, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a bit confused how to proceed as in the documentation it says:

Keep in mind that you cannot install the Java Add-In for existing ABAP dialog instance(s). Instead,

you have to uninstall the old ABAP dialog instance(s) and install new ABAP+Java dialog instance(s)

Does this effect a Central Instance or can I proceed to install SCS -> Schema etc ?

I thought I'd try it anyway(since this is a sandbox) and I'm getting an error "role SDBA is not created yet" before that there is two warnings "CIaMsgClient::getProfileValue(GID)" and "CIaMsgClient::getProfileValue(UID)" with "MsGetProfileValue on message server (srvslssap098/3900) failed: MSOP_NOTSET" ..not sure if it's related.

From the error below it's almost like it's expecting the data from the "previous" ABAP installation which naturally we won't have as that was installed years ago. Which brings me to my query above about the dialog instances.

Any idea's or suggestions on the best way to proceed ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Nelis

From sapinst.log:

INFO 2009-04-06 13:14:09.416
Execute step CheckSWOwnerExistence of component |NW_Addin_SCS|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_GetSidFromProfiles|ind|ind|ind|i
nd|1|0|NW_GetDBUserParameter|ind|ind|ind|ind|5|0|NW_GetUserParameterUnix_ada|ind|ind|ind|ind|3|0

ERROR 2009-04-06 13:14:09.532
CJS-00030  Assertion failed: in 
function (role) {
    NWUsers.trace("NWUsers.getAccountData(", role, ")");
    this._initAccountData();
    ASSERT(arguments.callee, this.haveAccountData(role), "role " + role + " is not created yet.");
    var ad = this._readAccountDataFromKeydb(role);
    ad = this._readAccountData(ad);
    var masterpwd = this.getMasterPassword();
    if (ad.password == "" && this._useMasterPasswordForAccountData(ad) && ad.type == "USER" && masterpwd !== undefine
d && role != NWUsers.roles.J2EEGuest && !ad.locked) {
        ad.password = masterpwd;
    }
    NWUsers.trace("NWUsers.getAccountData(): ", dump_properties(ad));
    return ad;
}
role SDBA is not created yet.

Edited by: Nelis Lamprecht on Apr 6, 2009 1:16 PM Added more info

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

just some general comments first:

- You really should think if you want to add the java stack to the existing erp system. The ERP stack has already a lot of (abap) components and technically it is possible to use ADS from any other system. In your case it might be even better to install one (or two) standalone NW7.0 java to serve as ADS systems. Off course you will need to check the licensing with SAP. But they won't bother you, as long as you are only testing.

- You should be able to do a java addin installation to an existing abap system, the CI does not need to be uninstalled. The uninstalling only applies for dialog instances.

Best regards, Michael

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I have thought about how I should install ADS and I plan to upgrade the memory in our systems to deal with the extra load. Surely you need a DEV, TST and PRD environment to be able to develop and test the interactive forms which our HR department is proposing to use ? Correct me if I'm wrong but ADS doesn't allow for multiple database sources ? ...this is my first experience with ADS so would appreciate comments in this area. How do people usually configure ADS for interactive forms in a SAP environment ?

I will be opening a OSS call on the error above unless I'm persuaded to install ADS differently.

As usual suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Technically it is possible to connect multiple abap systems to one j2ee hosting the ADS service. On the abap side you need a RFC (type http) connection, and on the j2ee you will have a http connection in the destination service for each abap system.

As far as i know the forms are still kept on the abap side, so all development will take place in the abap DEV, testing in the abap QAS and so on. But if you are unsure about it, then go ahead with your initial plan, i just wanted to point out another possibility. Especially when you have a j2ee system standing around, then you can have a running test environnement quite quickly.

Regards, Michael

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks.

Hmm ...I'm a bit confused now how you would capture the data in interactive forms to different ABAP systems/databases using a single ADS system. The documentation on ADS doesn't mention anything of this. Whether the forms are actually captured in ABAP would depend on how they are creating them ie using Webdynpro for Java you obviously wouldn't store them on an ABAP only system.

Nelis

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I was about to open a OSS call I came across a note(1135524) which I hadn't checked previously. It states:

19 Mar 08 Java Add-In Installation for Upgraded ABAP System

Problem

The Add-In installation for an upgraded ABAP system aborts during the dialog phase in dialog step CheckSWOwnerExistence.

Solution

Set the following profile parameter in the default profile:

j2ee/dbname=<DBSID>

<DBSID> is the database ID of the ABAP system.

Restart the Add-In installation.

....which was the answer to my problem.

I'm marking the thread as answered but if anyone has any information to share on ADS please reply.

Thanks!

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

...would depend on how they are creating...

Ok agreed. I am not a developer, but i assumed you are creating the forms in your erp (abap) system.

Regards, Michael