cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting Languages at SAPPHIRE?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, with SAPPHIRE /ASUG Orlando coming up May 14-17th, the SDN Scripting Community has decided to hold a pre-event.

This pre-event would be a chance for everyone to meet face-to-face and see and share what everyone has been working on. Think of this as a mini jam-session and scripting networking opportunity. Now to make this work we need your help and of course feedback.

If you have a suggestion or if you would like the chance to "show off" something you've been working on then please let us know!

The primary focus is PHP but Ruby on Rails, Perl and Python would be great to showcase and hear about as well!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, but I have to do this:-

Can we modify the "Ruby On Rails" (or ROR), to include the broader context of Ruby - the scripting lnaguage, and Rails the "Open Source Web Framework" that just happens to have been written in Ruby. I don't want to loose the distinction between the two things, as they each can play a significant role.

Cheers.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Haven't noticed this <b>SDN scripting community</b> -:) I'm glad to be a part of that community -:D

Piers...What the porpouse of divide "Ruby" and "Rails"? Can Ruby connect to SAP without using Rails???

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alvaro?

Ruby is a scripting language in it's own right - ie. you can write full blown applications with it that have nothing to do with the web if you feel like it (this is in complete contrast to PHP which is first and foremost a scripting language of a Web Framework).

As I tried to state above - Ruby on Rails is a Web Framework that just happens to be written in Ruby - you can and should separate the two, just as you should consider Python outside of Zope, or Perl outside of Catalyst.

Have a look at http://www.ruby-lang.org if you wish to know more.

Cheers.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Piers:

My name is <b>Alvaro</b>, but I like to be called

<b>Blag</b> -;)

Silly me -:'( I should know that Ruby is an scripting language...I thought it was like C++ -:P Thanx for the link, I'm going to read it tonight -:)

And now I agree with with you...They should be separated -:)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice to meet you Blag - I did not wish to get your "handle" wrong.

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey everyone we're just a day away now! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

AndreLabahn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Andre Labahn and I'm a member of the SAP Emerging Solutions division and the lead project coordinator for the topic of Scripting languages at SAP. There have already been some talks about the pre-event in the area of scripting languages. The pre-event has now emerged into a Scripting Languages breakfast session at Sapphire and will take place on Tuesday, May 16th, 08:00 am at the conference center in Orlando.

/people/andre.labahn/blog/2006/05/02/scripting-languages-at-sapphire-have-now-been-finalized

Looking forward to see you in orlando

regards,

andré

former_member10945
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hopefully i will have some python stuff to show around, let me know what day and i will see everyone there!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds great!

We'll be announcing more details soon!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok folks, with <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn?rid=/library/uuid/e50bd86e-0a01-0010-53bd-857585234a6a">"scripting in a Box"</a> now online and available, we've got a pretty good chance of <i>easily</i> showing off some cool scripts!

So some thoughts for Orlando:

"Code Showdown" - bring your best and coolest scripts and show them off

"Scripting in a Box" - have a USB stick? Bring it and get the newest version of "Scripting in a Box"

"World's Smallest and Coolest Script" - how much can you do in a single line of code?

"Ask the Scripters" - have questions, now is a good time to ask

"How do I get started?" - Have a question, not sure where to start? Have a group of scripters already and not sure how to utilize them together with your SAP systems?

Those are just some thoughts - what are you thinking?

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey...I just read the post...I guees I need to check this forum more often -:)

As you may know (I think I'm the more active PHP/SAP blogger along with Craig)...I love the idea! Sadly -:( SAP doesn't make events here in Peru...The last one...and maybe the only one -:'( was "SAP Technology Day 2005"...Good luck to everyone who can attent the event...And please share some photos -:P

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great idea, Craig. Do you have any details yet? A couple of us from Colgate will be at ASUG/Sapphire and will definitely attend the SDN pre-event.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Craig, is this limited to just scripting people, or would a curious ABAPer be able to check things out?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Were hoping to hear what you all would like to see and hear about.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Open to all who are interested!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally I'm hoping to meet up with several out there that are interested in using or are already using various Scripting languages together with SAP.

Perhaps we can swap notes and ideas, I'll have my USB stick and some of my little apps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I REALLY LOVE that <i>Open-source technologies such as Python and PHP, to name just two, (...that...) are of great interest to college students and younger people with a passion</i> finally create quite a stir on SDN

Wish you a lot of fun over there @ Orlando and hope to get some gift app ready till then.

'SDN scripting community', hehehe, I REALLY LOVE that.

anton