cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Hyperlink for attachment

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I a trying to create a hyperlink to an attachment located on a network drive for a catalog item. E.g. a PDF file using hyperlink file://c:/temp/abc.pdf.

The type is Link and MIME type PDF.

Apparently I can see the link for the catalog item but when I click on it, nothing happens.

I am hoping to then be able to link to files of different document type such as doc.

I then tried referencing a file located on the network drive and it works. Does anyone know why the system wouldn't allow files to be located on the local drive?

Also, I noticed that if my folder directory or filename has spaces in between, the blank will be substituted with % and obviously the file cannot be located. Any idea how we can get around this problem?

Appreciate if someone can give some pointers on this.

Cheers!

SF

Edited by: SF on Apr 6, 2009 2:02 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The way I can suggest is - First import the PDF file (either save or link), linked it with any record and make the PDF field visible in SRM-MDM Catalog. Now when you open the SRM Portal, you will find the complete link of PDF document (which you cant open), just copy this link and create the qualified record in the HyperLink table with Link Type = Link, MIME Type = PDF and URL is the value copied from the table PDF. Try to open the document from SRM portal

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

My apologies. Again, this is related to SRM-MDM. I can link to the PDF and call up the PDF alright as long as the file is located on a network drive. If I assign the link to file://c:/temp/abc.pdf, I will not be able to call up the PDF when I click the link on the SRM-MDM catalog. If I assign the link to file://o:/abc.pdf, then it will work.

Also, I cannot have files with blanks in between, e.g. abc 124.pdf.

Cheers!

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried this and faced a same problem.

But i can suggest a workaround

1. Import the PDFs you want to link with the catalogs into PDF table

2. Link the PDFs with the records accordingly

3. Change the Config UI to display both PDF and Hyperlink fields.

4. Copy the value of PDF document i.e. the url from PDF field into the URL field of Hyperlink table.

Now you can open the PDFs stored either locally or on network drive since you have brought the PDFs into the repository.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I ended up with an exception error.

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You must be getting Invalid URL Exception. Check the sample URL of my PDF object

http://MDMServerName:50000/SRM-MDM/objectServer//PDFs?id=1&cachePath=/tmp/largeObjectRepositoriesCac...

Its working fine for me

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I did get the URL exception. I noticed the link I got has a drive assigned to it compared to yours which is Path:/tmp/...

For mine, it is Path=E:\usr\sap\SRM\tmp\largeObjectRepositoriesCachedFolder\sapsds\RepositoryPort_2345\guest&relativePath=t09\0000000\r00001v-1.pdf

Not sure how I can get it working then.

Regards

SF

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

FYI, I managed to get it working when I change the slash to go the other way, i.e. / instead of \.

However, because I have previously loaded a PDF, then deleted it and load a different PDF, when I click on the link, it actually calls up the first PDF which I have deleted from data manager (PDF table). I checked the service directory and noticed that the file still resides with name like r00001v-1.pdf, and strange enough the proposed file name that I got from the PDF field is also r00001v-1.pdf.

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its good that its working for you and thanks for clarification as many SRM-MDM users are facing the problems related to PDF.

Kindly update the thread status so that others can refer the solution posted by you.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja