cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDC 8.5 problem with export button in CRViewer

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My RDC 8.5 application works and exports fine. The problem is limited to the following scenario:

Only after clicking on the export button in CRViewer, even if the user immediately clicks Cancel without exporting, when the user closes the application, the application generates a:

-

The instruction at "0x7c90ff36" referenced memory at "0x0abe0586". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program

-

The same application closes perfectly fine with later versions of the RDC (9, XI R2).

I tried to use ProcessMonitor to get some clues for what is failing, but no help there.

Anyone has seen that behavior before or knows what could be causing it?

More info: using the modules utility to compare the loaded dlls before and after clicking the export button in CRViewer, I can see that the act of clicking the Export button in Crviewer:

1. unloades keycode.dll from the application process!?

2. Loads all the export dlls

Thanks

ido

Edited by: Ido Millet on Apr 5, 2009 4:07 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What OS is this happening on?

Can you reproduce this on your dev system?

Do you have the latest SP on the system you are seeing this behavior on?

Is this a new behavior? E.g.; did this ever work?

Confirm this is a VB 6 app?

Download modules from here:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

Once you've run modules, see the details of the run for your exe. Modules will give you memory addresses that each dll uses. See if you can find which dll has the bad memory address.

Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What OS is this happening on?

XP SP3

-

Can you reproduce this on your dev system?

yes

-

Do you have the latest SP on the system you are seeing this behavior on?

I assume you mean CR 8.5 SP? I have SP3 of Cr 8.5 but, as indicated in another thread, it is tough to figure out what's the latest for Cr 8.5.

-

Is this a new behavior? E.g.; did this ever work?

yes, this is new behavior., I haven't seen this in the past. I think is may have something to do with a newer version of the OS.

-

Confirm this is a VB 6 app?

yes.

-

Once you've run modules, see the details of the run for your exe. Modules will give you memory addresses that each dll uses. See if you can find which dll has the bad memory address.

I already ran modules. One strange thing is that the act of clicking the export button in CRViewer unloads keycode.dll from the process. In terms of addresses ntdll.dll seems to be involved because the start address is 0x7C900000 (the end address is 0x7C9AF000).

Path: c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll

version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)

-

Thanks,

ido

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

That was a known issue with 8.5. I believe they fixed it in 8.5. Try downloading the updated Viewer from the other post you have for the updated runtime.

If that doesn't fix your app then no option to fix it. You could try capturing the exception and handling it nicely in your app or add a viewer close event and test using the isBusy functions and wait for the report to complete.

Thanks again

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for the download links and the information. Very useful!

It doesn't look like I can capture the exception in my application because it is happening after I close the application. As far as I know, CRViewer doesn't have a close event.

I'll try the new runtime components and let you know what I find.

Thanks!

ido

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

The new runtime components didn't solve the issue. Still, thanks for the links and the information.

I still think this has something to do with an OS update, The fact that ntdll.dll is implicated seems to support that notion.

At least he crash occurs only after closing the app... 🐵

Thanks,

ido

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Breaking News!

Looks like the issue is related to having a UFL loaded. Too many things have changed, so I'm not sure if that's the whole story, but once I uninstalled the UFL, the application no longer errors when closed.

Thanks

ido

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, that problem is gone, but now the actual export to pdf fails.

Clearly, there are too many interactions going on here. I'll keep this thread closed and try to figure it out on my own.

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

If your UFL is COM the check u2lcom.dll, it's the UFL COM interface between Crystal and your UFL. Make shure it's been updated also.

Not sure what the UFL does but you can also add in the API IsBusy in the crviewer. If the reprot is still busy cleaning up or waiting for something then don't allow the app to close.

Thanks again

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Yes, I'm using the new u2lcom.dll.

The same UFL doesn't bother the RDC 9 or RDC XI (and didn't use to bother the 8.5).

Not sure what is disturbing the 8.5 version. I still think it's related to a newer version of ntdll.dll or some related component. In any case, at this point I'm going to stop chasing this issue.

Thanks,

- Ido

Answers (0)