Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Using the concept Discontinued parts

Hi dudes,

My client is having requirement where one raw material will have alternate item i.e either he will use material A in absence of this he will use B. Now they wants MRP should give planned proposals by checkijng stock of A followed by checking stock B. Can we use the concept of discontiniued parts for this concept ?, as i tested its working fine when the material have no sufficent stock for A its passing dependent requirements to B. My doubt is after once it has gone follow up material can it again consider the stock of A after some time when we procure A material?.

Will it work for my sceanrio...

Thanks in advance.

Robert.

Former Member
Former Member replied

Hi,

You will experience this behaviour as long as you do not change the BOM.

I mean, in this scenario you should manually chnage the BOM (replace the old material with the new one) if the stock of the old material is ramped down (runs out) - if you used this funcionality properly...

However, I do not recommend the misuse of discontinuation since you may face problems... E.g. if the "old" material has no enough stock, MRP will transfer the requirements for the "new" (follow-up) material. This means that procurement proposals will be genrated for the "new" material - if purchasers use SAP properly, the "new" material will be ordered...

But as I understand you wouldn't like to get the "new" material, but the "old"...

So, MRP won't provide you with the desired results since you misuse this funcionality.

Regards,

Csaba

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question