cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a backup system using different hostname but same SID

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day,

I'm trying to create a backup/standby SAP System (ERP 2005). I've have already tried doing a SAP system copy procedure using different hostname and different SID. But right now i want to implement a standby system which has a different hostname but SAME SID. The reason for this is to minimize post processing during production cutover. I also want both systems to be BOTH active during disaster recovery rehearsals. Is it possible to have a SAME SID but different hostname? (sample below)

SAP System A (Production)

hostname: xprodIP0

SID: IP0

DBSID: IP0

SAP System B (Backup/Standby)

hostname:xbackIP0

SID: IP0

DBSID: IP0

thanks in advance

-dennis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis

yes we can do that...

1. first we have to do filesystem restore on the backup host same as it is on the original server.

2. sap and oracle binaries too

3. latest oracle backup log of original logs transfer on backp server

4. db restore on backp server

5. so backup server will be having same SID and different host

6. rest of the post processing/post restore steps

If you want the detailed steps/procedure...do let me know

Bhudev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhudev,

thanks for the steps. Right now i'm considering to do periodic replication of the datafiles only. Initial replication of the sap and oracle binaries will be done during installation of the backup system. i would then have to re-create control files whenever we want to startup the backup system.

I greatly appreciate if you could send me your detailed steps so i could compare it with my current procedure.

thank you very much for your help

-dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bhudev,

Can you also send me copy of the steps which you have sent to Dennis. WWE also have same scenario; same SID however only the IP address was chnaged. I'm worried also of bringing the two system with same SID and HOSTNAME to be available at the same time.

How can I get the document as this forum, does not allow posting of email address.

Let me know your feedback on any unfavorable circumstances that might occur.

Thank you very much.

regards,

Jovie

0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a PRD system ( OS AIX 5.2, Oracle DB) which needs to be migrated to new physical server with same Oracle DB but in OS AIX 5.3. The method we used is LUN cloning of the CI and DB. I have read about the system copy procedure and most of them specify the need of installating the CI instance in the new server, may I know if this procedure (LUN cloning) is enough to say that the PRD system is completely clonned (even without the CI installation and backup/restore procedure) and that we can take down the old server. The new server has same SID and hostname as the old, only the IP address differs, we would like to know if there will be any problem if we have both servers allive as we need to test the new server before go-live?

I really apppreciate feedback.

Thank you very much.

regards,

Jovie

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis,

> Is it possible to have a SAME SID but different hostname? (sample below)

Yes of course.

If you need to switch between the database you can run your restored instance on host xbackIP0 and connect to this from the SAP CI and application servers. (or you maybe want to remap the disks if you have a SAN environment)

> The reason for this is to minimize post processing during production cutover

Ok, for this scenario a restored and "recovered" database on a different host is the right solution, but if you want to have a standby database all the time you should think about HA products like Oracle Data Guard.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan.

Yes we are currently on a SAN environment. I'm currently developing a system in which we could maximize the use of the cloning/replication technology of the SAN environment. Given that it is possible to have SAME SID and different hostname, is it ok if we simultaneously use both systems (both Active) during disaster recovery testing? Would there be any "unforseen" data transfer between these two (same SID) system? I just want to be sure that the two systems are entirely independent of each other even if they have the same SID.

Ofcourse during post processing activities i would have to change specific data such as RFC connections to replace with the new hostname.

thanks again for your response.

-dennis