Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skillsets to be added for PI consultant for a better future

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I few general career related queries.

I have worked in Basis for a year , and on few XI projects from past 6-7 months. I want to know which other skill sets should one start gaining which could compliment my XI work expereince ?

I am XI certified(associate level) ,however I don't find next level of certification(professional)offered by SAP , so planning to take certification in other areas indirectly associated with PI ? could you suggest me any ?

I am in great need of valuable advice from you.

Thanks a ton!

Regards

Guru

Edited by: gururaj ravindra on Apr 5, 2009 6:11 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The following is my personal comments;

From what I have seen an ideal skill set of an XI guy is to know XI of course and also to have a good grip in java since there are numerous occasions when you will have to write UDFs, and then gradually involve in java mappings and modules. Having a knowledge of ABAP is an additional plus.

Since you mentioned you were into BASIS, if you can get the hang of the XI admin part to a medium level scale then i guess you are one heck of an XI consultant to be

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shabarish,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Great to hear that having Technical configuration,installation of PI systems is a added advantage as I have worked on the same..

however I donot have any development background on Java (though I have basic knowledge of ABAP). So I was wondering if I self study ALE/Idoc configuration in detail , this would help me to in long run ?

Please let me know if Java is a must , then I shall enroll/take courses n kickstart learning Java.

Great mentoring!

Cheers!

Guru

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

from what i have seen, in the service industry when an XI implementation happens there is always an ABAP team doing the application side. So ABAP related affairs still find help from that team, but JAVA is an onus on the XI folks

As I said, if there is a different team altogether handling the R3 development, then XI guys rarely does the ALE/IDoc programming/config. His role might be restricted to code the ABAP proxy and at times write an ABAP mappping. But on a wider scale you will be using JAVA more on a day today basis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Seeing u r background -- XI Adminstartion / Development configuration of scenarios would be core.

Design part in a project is the major role played by Developers -- mapping (Message mapping) if any major requ we go for JAVA.

Core JAVA is very much handy and must for complex scenarios.

ABAP vs JAVA would be debat again all depends on project landscape but i wud vote for JAVA with XI is major / other ABAP development RFC / IDOC knowledge wud be gud , usually u have a team to handle this as said by Vijay.

Regards

Srini

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Core JAVA Skills must and knowning EJB good.

ABAP [Programming required ,ALE,IDOC dev and Configuration.

learn about SOA Concpets really good

XSLT Mapping concpets if u know.

thats enough..

Cheers,

raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you! Shabrish , Srini and Raj..

@ Raj: Could you elaborate on topics on SOA i need to concentrate ?

I dusted out "Complete Reference Java" book , lying at corner of rack.. Will start reading it.

Also, I 'll buy a book on ALE,IDoc configurations.

Thanks a ton again!

Regards

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey ,

Good to have knowledge on programming language will help in learning other languages easy.

However I think you can better improve ALE/IDOC confgiurations too as this will make easier for you to learn

However Java knowledge is an added advantage for writing own modules,adapters.

but it will make sense if you know the basics of PI developmnet,so my feeling is learn XI development and go for dig in XI/PI later

Rajesh