cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI Requirements for x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As we begin to think about upgrading our java application server environment to 64 bit I'm researching the requirements for our development. Our NWDI NW environment is also on 32 bit. _Is upgrade of our NWDI environment to 64 bit an absolute prerequisite in order to convert our application servers to 64 bit?_ I've read that 32 bit executables will execute on an x64 box. OR... Can we keep the 32 bit NWDI and simply recompile our applications with 64 bit versions of the Software Component Build dependencies,

DI BUILD, SAP J2EE ENGINE, SAP JAVA TECH SERVICES? (We'll be doing portal WAS first)

Thanks,

Doug

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ravindra_bollapalli2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

check this link

http://wiki.colar.net/jdi_2004s

/people/bhavana.gupta/blog/2007/01/23/installation-and-configuration-of-netweaver-development-infrastructure-was-64

let me know am i correct ornot

bvr

Edited by: bvr on Apr 5, 2009 5:31 AM

rosh
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

as long as you have installed (and specified in VA and CBS, see bvr's post above) the neccesary JDK-version (1.4, 1.5, etc) on your CBS you'll be fine. This way you can even use a 7.0 NWDI Server to develop 7.1 components.

The bytecode generated by javac is the same in the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

bvr, Robert Thank You. Looking through the materials before a 1PM meeting where we're estimating effort to upgrade to 64 so need quick answers.

So...

Before: We have a 32 bit NWDI/CBS and application servers running JDK 1.4.2_13.

After: We'll have 32 bit NWDI/CBS and 64 bit application servers running 64 bit JDK 1.4.2_13.

If I'm reading your replies and the posts correctly...

- Regardless of any of this the VA/CBS setup will remain the same pointing to a 1.4.2_13 version of jdk.

- The dependant SC's (DI BUILD, SAP J2EE ENGINE, SAP JAVA TECH SERVICES) will not have to change?

- Are there any scenarios that require re-import of sependant SC's or is it always as somple as CBS config to the appropriate jdk?

Thanks again,

Doug

rosh
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

>- Regardless of any of this the VA/CBS setup will remain the same pointing to a 1.4.2_13 version of jdk.

jep.

>- The dependant SC's (DI BUILD, SAP J2EE ENGINE, SAP JAVA TECH SERVICES) will not have to change?

>- Are there any scenarios that require re-import of sependant SC's or is it always as somple as CBS config to the appropriate jdk?

You might need to import the SCs you're using in CMS on the according app servers but only in respect to different SP- and patch levels of those SCs. If the only change is from 32 to 64 you're fine.

Kind regards

Answers (0)