cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal ESS Upgrade ( Webdynpro DC Changes)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Currently we have Portal 7 sp13 and ESS (webdynnpro,pcui ) 600 sp 10. We did lot of ESS customization using NWDI Track. Everything is working fine so far.

We are planning to Upgrade our Portal SP Level and ESS SP Level. In this case do i have to re implement all the changes which i made of ESS in older sp level?. I was looking into NWDI cookbook and it says we can use Project Metadata Comparison to see the changes. It just shows if there is any conflict and its now providing any option to move my current changes to new sp level.

Any other better way to achieve this?

Any input on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

VJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have also done such kind of update...There is a better way

1)Create First Track-(for SAP Standard ESS Version without any customization- Name it eg SP15ESS) and in that track put your SAP Standard ESS Latest Version(ie the SP level to which you want to upgrade).. Do not connect the Track To Run time system in NWDI. This Track at any point will help you refering to SAP Standard Code for ESS if anything goes wrong with your customization or you need to see what is SAP Standard functionality.

2)Create Second Track (where you customized code will be -Name the track so that you can identify the Mod track eg SP15MODESS ) and Create it in the same way as the above but connect the runtime system for this in NWDI. Import the Standard ESS Latest Version(ie the SP level to which you want to upgrade).

At this point you will have two tracks one for keeping SAP Standards ESS code and second which will have all the customization and will be connected to runtime env.

Now go to NWDS , Create Project out of a DC from the Second Track .Similarly Create Project out of same DC but this time from the old track (your current Track-old version). Once the projects for both the DCs gets created ,go to DTR perspective select the Same DC of New Track eg SP15MODESS from the inactive container and put the DC source code in edit mode to explicitly checkout the code,. After that switch to Navigator tab , select both the DC (use cntrl key) , right click on any one of the DC and select Compare With -->Each Other.

Comparison window will open , you can see the diff(ie all you custom code) in the src folder and then you can move the customized code to the DC on the new track ie SP15MODESS using arrows on top right side of the comparison window.

At any point you want to refer what new stuff SAP has added in the later SP, you can compare the old SAP Standard Track DC with the Latest SP SAP Standard Track DC.

Edited by: Saurabh Agrawal on Apr 4, 2009 3:27 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Agarwal,

Thanks for such a detail explanation. I will try out in this method. If any doubt to implement that then i will let you know.

Thanks Again.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

I have created Custom DC which is exist in Track-1. I wanted to move that DC to Track-2.

Can you tell me how to do that. I have tried this below wiki

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/jdi/stepbyStepguidetoMoveaDCfromoneSCtoanother&focusedCommentId=40927682

but i could not do it.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Vijay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay,

There is no other better way but to go with whatever mentioned in the CookBook ...you have to re-write the changes done in the older SP to the new SP and transport it along.....

Regards,

Shikhil