cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ST-PI and ST-A/PI needs to be installed in DEV and Quality Systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Environment:

ERP and BI 6.0 / Windows / SQLServer 2005

Hi All,

Is ST-PI and ST-A/PI needs to be applied to DEV and Quality Systems of ERP and BW.

I understand that ST-PI and ST-A/PI are necessary for Production Environment.

Is it recommended to install or upgrade the same in Dev and Quality Systems of ERP and BW.

Because I believe it is always good practice to keep all systems Support Packages including ST-PI and ST-A/PI the same in the same Landscape. (But could not find any documents from SAP.)

Thanks and Best Regards,

Raghunahth L.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raghunath,

Any support pack that you apply must be first done on dev server,then qa and then prod.

It is by default SAP's best and recommended practice.

For ex:

1. say you do not apply these ST* packages to dev and qa system but there may be so many other packs(Basis packs) which are dependent on this and so when you apply them in your system,they will fail because pre-requisites are not met

2. say you have applied one support pack to production system and that hasnt been done on QA system and then if you think of doing a client copy or export/import from production to qa to refresh your qa,it will fail as the software components are not same across the system

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

The information you have provided is very useful. BTW I have a small doubt.

I find many customers implementing ST-A/PI and ST-PI only to their Production Environments as

it must for production systems. Is it really OK to implement only in Production Systems

or they will get in to problems like you said above.

(I would like to reconfirm this, as ST-A/PI is quite different SP from other basic Support packages like SAP_BASIS, SAP_ABAP etc)

Thanking you in Anticipation.

Best Regards

Raghunahth L

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

you can get into the problems which I have said if you dont implement that,also many support packs do have their dependencies on ST-PI and ST-A/PI and seriously I havent heard people implementing this on prod and not dev and qa....I have worked on with many big clients but never heard this

Also if you ignore whatever I have said,still it is still recommended that you never apply anything directly on Production,It is always better if you first implement on dev and qa and see if you are facing any issues while implementing...so its always better to implement on dev and then qa

and It doesnt take too much of time,so that should not be an issue after all

Always follow SAP best Practices

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your reply again.

I've been telling the customer, to implement in all the systems starting from DEV.

Anway I shall strongly recommend it once again.

Thanks to the SDN Community and also to you for being an active member.

Best Regards

Raghunahth L

Answers (0)