cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Workflow Definition-Workflow version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day all.

We're facing "Inconsistent workflow definition: Node/step number 1 is not available".

We're trying to restart the workflow but unsuccessfull.

Based on our investigation it seems that this is due some error in older version.

Unfortunatelly "generate and activate runtime version" button is not active in our production system.

We fixed this older version in development system, we activated and transported into production system. But I'm wondering why our production system generate new version of workflow istead of replacing and activating the older version.

I'm looking forward somebody can give me an explanation on this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maorriyan,

each workflow instance stores the number of the runtime version in it's flowitem data. When you import a new workflow definition into a target system the import step looks for the latest version counter in the target system. Then it looks up if this version is already referenced by other workflows running. If so it will add 1 to the counter and import the new workflow definition in a new version.

All other workflows running now will stick to the older version.

<i>You cannot repair an inconsistent workflow definition by importing a newer version.</i>

To safely recreate the crashed workflow please follow these steps:

- In dev system get a new version with Workflow-->New Version, activate and transport to the target system.

- Log on to the target system and execute transaction SWU_OBUF. Hit the refresh button once or twice until you see the current date and time displayed.

- Open a session to select the crashed workflows (swi1, swpr)

- In another session re-create (not restart) these workflows (transaction swus) and give them the same import parameters as the crashed ones.

- After the successful recreation, delete the old ones.

If you have a whole bunch of these workflow you might thinkg about writing a report/transaction that is able to recreate a workflow from any other given instance.

Unfortunatly, as I said, you will not be able to repair the workflows that have a corrupted runtime version in reference (or as a deep copy).

Best wishes,

Florin