cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.6C -> ERP 6.0 SR3 upgrade - binding in EHP4

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm hoping someone can clear up a point of confusion in the EHP4 upgrade documentation.

We are performing an upgrade from R/3 4.6C to ERP6 SR3. I have performed several test upgrades in a sandbox, binding in EHP3 and additional SP stacks as outlined in the SR3 upgrade documentation.

I would like to perform an upgrade from 4.6C to ERP6, binding in EHP4 when it becomes available later this month.

I'm a bit confused by the document at :

http://service.sap.com/erp-inst SAP ERP->SAP ERP 6.0->Upgrade->Upgrade Guides - "SAP ERP 6.0 including EHP 4"

Section 5.1 of that document says to start the upgrade, issue the command:

STARTUP jce_policy_zip=<path>

This seems to be the startup command for the EHPI(??) There is no reference to starting the Upgrade Assistant as documented in the SR3 upgrade guide.

Is this section correct for an upgrade from 4.6C to ERP 6.0, or should we be continuing to use the Upgrade Assistant as documented in the "Upgrade Documentation - SAP ERP 6.0 SR3"? Is the upgrade process for binding in EHP4 different than binding in EHP3 when going from 4.6C to ERP6.0?

Regards,

-Mike Tarr

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right, EHPI/STARTUP is executed when you install EHP4 on an already installed ERP system. SAPup is the tool to upgrade a release.

You will need to follow the doucumentation at

http://service.sap.com/erp-inst

--> Upgrade

--> Upgrade Guides - SAP ERP 6.0 including EHP 4

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus, thanks very much for your reply.

Section 5.1 of the document you referenced says to execute the EHPI STARTUP command to begin the upgrade. That is what is causing my confusion. Perhaps this section of the documentation is inaccurate?

Would it be correct to say that the steps for binding EHP4 into the ERP6 upgrade will be, in general, similar to binding in EHP3 ?

-Mike

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Section 5.1 of the document you referenced says to execute the EHPI STARTUP command to begin the upgrade. That is what is causing my confusion. Perhaps this section of the documentation is inaccurate?

That is the upgrade assistant - apparently (I didn't check that before) it was changed from the former

java -cp /usr/sap/put/ua/ua.jar UaServer

to the new control program.

So you will use SAPup as usual - but with a different upgrade controller.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus. It does make sense that SAPup is still called in background and the only difference is the control program used.

The documentation says the path to STARTUP is:

/<Upgrade Master DVD>/STARTUP

Of course, my current ERP6.0 SR3 upgrade DVD's do not have a STARTUP program on the Upgrade Master DVD.

Do you happen to know if there will be a new set of ERP6.0 upgrade DVD's released that will be required if we want to bind EHP4 into the upgrade? (ERP6.0 SR4, perhaps?) Or, will the SR3 DVD's still be usable with upgrade assistant?

Regards,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Tarr on Apr 3, 2009 4:30 PM