Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a browse option to variable screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am a webdypro java/abap developer .

Our BI teem asked me if I can help them adding a browse for file button in the variable screen.

So that when they have to insert data to wad reprot variables they will be able to choose data from file.

They also told me that there is a way to do so using the Bex Web Application Designer,

by adding some java script to a template.

I read some about this in SDN , still things r not that obvious .

How can I interfere in the variable screen ?

Which commands do I have to use in order to open the browser ?

Can I use usual javascript commands ?

And How do i transfer the data in to the variable ?

I will be very grateful for some guidance...

Thanks,

Nitsan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please alaborate a little more when you say

//adding a browse for file button in the variable screen.

In general I would like tell few things about the over all picture.

1. Query -This is what generates reports from the back end database which contains tables. VAriables reside at query level.

2.WAD - You can put your query in a web template using Web application designer and execute the query on web, enhancing its features like adding a chart etc.

Also from WAD you can call external CSS files and JavaScript file ina web template which controls the layout of the report.

3. Portal- you can put the same Web template on Portal and assign it some Authorization related role so that users can access whatever you have accomplished in the web template.

So the picture is like this basic element is Query->on top if it sits Web Template-> on top of it there is Portal

You can manipulate variables from a query using regular JavaScript commands. The JavaScript files are kept at a location called MIME repository in side SAP BW and then they are called from the web temple using the

script link href="address"

Getting back to your question if you could explain what do you want to achieve perhaps I could help more.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think that's possible. Variable screen giving an option of file selection and variable reading values from that file seems like unrealistic to me.

Sorry about that. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhijit

Thanks for the info..

Still I did not understand , is there a way that I can change the design&functionality of the variable screen ?

The screen that I enter the parameters that the query will except.

Is there any example or "how to " insert java script or commands to a specific template using

Bex Web Application Designer .

Thanks

Nitsan