cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Sap Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am facing problem I have to Archiving sap Data past 2 years .

Please suggest how can I do it .We are using ECC5 with oracle 9i on win 2003.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks it is helpfully. But i need more detail process if you can tell the step by by step process.

Because my requirement is to reduce the database space by Data Archiving

1 how to do Archiving Sap Data for exp (2 year) With Tx SARA ?

2 An file will be created at Os level that can be transfer from there to any place.

Please help me out .

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can reduce your database size by archiving various business transaction documents and master data that is not required to keep in the database and move to file directory at your OS level and then transfered to storage system.

There are many business transaction documents created in system. You have to identify which business documents that are occupying major size and fast growth in your database then help you to take a plan which needs to shifted in the first phase and later with other documents that are not so much occupied.

Archiving is not one step procedure, it is a project.

1. Here you have to first build the Archive architecture required,

2. Analysis your database and select the top archiving object that your occupying major size and growth. Depending upon technical dependencies and functional dependencies take a call on which Archiving objects needs to implemented.

3. Get business requirements of total retention time & online residence time depending upon the geographical areas legal requirements

4. Build the system as per the business requirement

5. Archive. Check wether archiving is impacting any of the business reports, if so then work on it to resolving it.

Golive with archiving in your production system and run re-organization program to archive free space from archiving.

Archiving is not one time job it should be processed regularly.

Hope you understood outer idea of archiving.

Initially you can think of archiving Intermediate documents, Application logs, Change documents, work items, Table logs and few of your technical documents since it is easy to implement with all the basic requirement of archiving.

If you think to try a dry run at this point then please let me know what documents your want to archive so that our forum mates will suggest you how to proceed further.

-Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohan,

Yes, it will reduce the size of database after archiving. Please remember you will not be able to put the archived data back into Database. But for some objects you can read the data directly from transaction SARA.

Hope this helps.

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

You speak about a data archiving project. Data archiving is not a simple technical project, like deleting rows in some tables.

This is a real project with functional and business impacts and decisions.

It is difficult to resume the phases

• First you have to perform a database analysis (to find the most big tables, the most growing tables, and so on).

• Then to find the archiving objects relevant to the defined tables (in transaction DB15).

• Then to find dependencies between the data archiving objets found (Transaction SARA -> name of the archiving object -> CTRL + F1). For exemple : to perform the archiving of the object SD_VBAK (sales document), you will first have to perform the archiving of the dependant objects SD_VBRK, SD_VTTR, SD_VFFK, and so on

• To collect the needs of the business for total retention time and online residence time in SAP (depending for the objects of legal aspects or organisational rules)

• Set up the technical system for archiving (will you need a software for archiving or not ?)... transactions AOC0, OAHT, OAC3, and so on, creating the file systems to store the binary files

• Maintaining technical settings for each object (store locations, variants, retentions, etc.)

• For each object you have to perform a check. You probably will have some blocked data (for exemple still open inbounds, deliveries) so that you can't archive the data. That means that end-users will have to fix problems before you can archive data.

• check if archived data can be retrieved (transaction SARI -> activate the relevant structures)

• After fixing the problems, you can perform the archiving for the relevant objects.

The most simple object (for a technical view) for archiving DATA is the object IDOC. Otherwise a project is required (you will need 4 to 12 months depending of the number of objects defined)

For a technical view data archived are stored in binary files at OS level. Only index structures provided in SAP (transaction SARI) can reread in these files (external softwares like OpenText, CommonStore IBM, Documentum - use the index structures).

Answers (0)