cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic XI question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know that if XI is sending data out and the target system is down the messages are queued in XI.

But if the sender sends data to XI and XI system is down at that time what would happen?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks a lot for ur responses.

well actually im looking for the more specific scenario i have a SAP report which in turn calls a FM that passes data to XI , and if XI is down will there be a short dump too. - i guess so.right?

The sap user here uses a TCODE which in turn triggers an IDOC in the background, and this IDOC is configured to be received by XI , i dont think the user will get a failure in the transaction correct. He will just come back , if he doesnt see the data in the target system. ??!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this case if xi system is down idoc status will still show 03 but in SM58 you can see an error

*bold *Partner not reached *bold *

need to run the job for resubmission

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

well actually im looking for the more specific scenario i have a SAP report which in turn calls a FM that passes data to XI , and if XI is down will there be a short dump too. - i guess so.right? - Correct...your RFC call can be seen as an error in SM58 transaction in R/3 system...........when XI will be up, it will automatically send the RFC data to XI without the need of re-sending it from R/3 system.

The sap user here uses a TCODE which in turn triggers an IDOC in the background, and this IDOC is configured to be received by XI , i dont think the user will get a failure in the transaction correct. He will just come back , if he doesnt see the data in the target system. ??!! - The user will not get any error at transaction.......your IDOC will be created and it will be in status 3 and error showing in SM58 transaction..........here also when XI will be up, it will automatically send the IDOC to XI without the need of re-sending it from R/3 system.

Regards,

Rajeev Gupta

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raajev,

This is exactly what i was looking for..thanks!

thanks a lot for ur responses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! shakthi / Rajeev,

I just need one clarification regarding this topic.

Since IDOC is in ABAP stack and it will transmit data by communicating directly with Integration engine ABAP stacj by using TRFC ports right ?

Suppose if XI Java stack is down and ABAP stack is in up stage then I think at the case which Shakthi told XI will receives the data from R3 side right ? since the ABAP stack is fine.

But only case is if the receiver adapter is in JAVA STACK then it will be in queue inorder to process and once the J2EE is up all messages ill process right .

Kindly provide clarification on this.

Regards::

Amar Srinivas Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Shakthi,

*I know that if XI is sending data out and the target system is down the messages are queued in XI.*

yes you are right.

According to my knowledge. All those messages will be in queue and once the target application is up all the queues will be released based on the queue order EO or EOIO and suppose if any of the same message fails out of 100 messages of same interface then most of the remaining messages will be strucked in queue if there belonging to same queue nad some may goes to SYS FAIL. or SYS ERROR. once u clearnign those error messages again flow ill continue.

*But if the sender sends data to XI and XI system is down at that time what would happen?*

Sender adapter would not receive or picks the source messsages or it throws an EXCEPTION in most of the cases. I faces this error in one of my projects while I am working with an CLIENT side.

there flow is Web Methods --> R3 via XI 3.0. The scenario is SOAP to RFC.

While creating SOAP sender one url wil come after generating WSDL right. That URL itself will acts as gateway for Web Methods inorder to enter the data into XI.

See as per the Web Methods rule:: It will tries 5 trials I mean web methods team will ping to XI Server via that URL and if the XI Server is down it throws back an EXCEPTION back to web methods and it continously tries 5 times and finally it will get an error knowns as

*"TIMEOUT EXCEPTION ERROR"*

It imples that it doesnt receive any messages if the XI Server is down. and it again receives normally once the server is up.

Regards::

Amar Srinivas Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Absolutely. XI server being down is a rare scenario. If in case it's so, then sender will not be able to send the data to XI. Instead it will receive an error message. Then it's necessary to resend the message from the sender end when XI is up and running.

In case JAVA engine is down, adapters won't fetch data and hence no question of data reaching XI. As soon as it's up and running, data will be fetched and placed in XI.

(Points please if it helps...)

Thanks,

Subhajit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But if the sender sends data to XI and XI system is down at that time what would happen? - In this case, your source application will get an exception while trying to send a msg to your XI system......so your source application will have to resend this data again to XI system by some button click or by having a background job for it.

Regards,

Rajeev Gupta

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> I know that if XI is sending data out and the target system is down the messages are queued in XI.

>

> But if the sender sends data to XI and XI system is down at that time what would happen?

ideally this should never happen as an middleware is supposed to be highly available.

About high availability ref: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30c221aa-b4e5-2910-b899-d268d84c...

this can be achieved by various ways .. example a decentralized adapter engine, roll back servers etc

And getting back to your question, even if XI is down the sender will in any case receive an error when they try to send data to XI. So as a normal way of implementation, the source system needs to resend data when the xi server gets back online.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the most basic scenario, for example using webservices, the sender would receive an error ( a timeout trying to connect to XI ) and the message would not even get into the XI server.

However in more sophisticated scenarios, like using the non-local adapter engine or PSK, such component would receive the message and keep it until the XI server is up and able to get it. (Assuming an asynchronous scenario).

Hope I answered your question.

-Sam.