cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we delete a printer from a device pool?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We have a printer that has been disconnected , and we want to delete it from the listing in transactions SPAD. We are on windows ent. edition, sql 2005 ECC version 6.0

Access Method is S: Print using SAP Protocol (Host Spool Access Method) whereby the printouts are sent from SAP to a file print server to be directed to a printer to print

Could someone advise as to what else needs to be done in order to delete this printer? (it is genereated errors regularly every few minutes

When we were on UNIX and there were print quest defined, I did not have this issue.

Someone please advise

Maria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

you can delete the printer device from SPAD

Go to SPAD and then outout devices,go to change mode select the printer device and then delete

it will be done

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

As I stated I already attempted to delete the printer in this way, however I get the error message stated in my previous posting

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

when you select that print device and delet what error does that give you

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Device still used in device pools

ZPRA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

do you know this device is attached to which pool device?

go to SPAD and then output devices,open the pool device and go in change mode

Go to devices pool tab page and remove the entry of the ZPRA device and save it now

now you will be able to delete the device

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I have done this so many times, going thru SPAD adding and removing and changing devices

but I cannot follow your instructions

where is the pool device tab page?

maria

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

1. Go to SPAD, on Devices/Servers tab page, press on Display button side to Access Methods, it will show you the all the devices with different access method.

2. switch to change mode if you're in display mode.

3. choose the line with access type 'P' Device pool - Remove ZPRA from there

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

As Debasis has explained,remove the device ZPRA from the device pool and the delete the device,you will be able to do it

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

OK , this is what I was talking about! this worked. The problem is that these device pools were set up way before I took over, probably when R/3 was set up over 10yrs ago.

Before I remove the device pool in production I have a question

IF I remove a device pool , how does it effect other printers in that pool?

(I have not done this in production yet, just in development)

Thanks,

Maria

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Assigning a printer to a pool does not prevent you from addressing the printer individually. To print on a pool printer without addressing the other printers, just specify the printeru2019s name instead of the pool name when you print.

the requirements when you set up a pool, is described here

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/d9/4a938451ea11d189570000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

so if you're sure that this printer is not being used, then you can delete it from the pool. (& if you're deleting the device pool entirely, make sure the pool doesn't have other printers assigned)

Regards,

Debasis.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Debasis

Maybe my question was not worded correctly. My concern is more towards issues that may come up from remove the ZPRA device pool?

What if any issues would I observe?

We typically print to a device id, and I have never had any clients print to a device pool that I am aware of.

That having said, could I delete the device pool, then delete the printer and put the device pool back ?

Maria

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Maybe the correct question would be on HOW TO DELETE THE DEVICE FROM THE DEVICE POOL, instead of deleting the entire device pool

maria

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

1. Go to SPAD, on Devices/Servers tab page, press on Display button side to Access Methods, it will show you the all the devices with different access method. Double click on the 'P' Device pool

2. If you see only ZPRA showing here, that means only this printer was given to the pool. not any other printer. (but if you see multiple printers under 'P' device pool, then you need to select the ZPRA one and then switch to change mode

3. after selecting the particular printer Goto > Output device -> delete.

if you don't see multiple printers in 'P' device pool, you shouldn't have any issue.

Regards,

Debasis.

Edited by: Debasis Sahoo on Apr 2, 2009 6:23 PM

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Actually there are a number of devicenames listed for the ZPRA pool

I am trying to delete TW29(printer in question) from this pool and i cannot?

maria

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

I thought that ZPRA is the printer you wanted to delete. But as ZPRA is the pool which contains the other printers, you should try to delete TW29 from it.

When you try to delete it from the pool, what do you get? is the error same as previously?

Thanks,

Debasis.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Debasis,

What I did to resolve, is remove device id TW29 from the pool, but there were a couple of printers that did not match the driver for this pool , so before I was able to delete TW29 from pool ZPRA , I had to also remove the couple of others

Thanks for your advise

Regards,

Maria

Answers (0)