Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material document number range - reusage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In config we maintain material document no. range by mentioning year 9999

We keep the material document for 2 years after which we archive.

Is it possible to resue the same numbers (which i have archived , i.e. material document of year 2005 for example) for the year 2009 and 2010

Regards

Manikandan .J

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why you want to use same no. range?

Try OMBT, click on Group in change mode, select the material doucment which you want. Then click Shift + F5, then select the line which shows year as 9999, then click F6. Now specify the year & give the number range interval as per your need.

Save

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The requirement or rather clarification required, whether same number range can be used after archive..for a different year..

Please clarify on this.

Regards

mani

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While archiving, the data is deleted from SAP tables, hence you should be able to reuse the number range.

Just double check in table MKPF and MSEG that no document is left, otherwise you would run into a SQL error with double entries.

However, I would never reuse number ranges, I made some experience.

Archiving is not really deletion, it is more keeping data somewhere else until the legal retention period is over. this means that you still have your material documents somewhere (e.g. optical disk), and you are able to access this data. If you reuse the number ranges within the legal retention period, then you may have the same material document twice, one in the archive one in the tables. And you may get them both listed in certain transactions and reports that read archived data (e.g. MB51)

for an other object I saw phantom entries, Archiving had not deleted all data from all tables, because of a bug some data was left. This data appeared after reusage of the numbers.