cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Single Oracle software installation for multiple sap components

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

We are running on MS windows 2003 enterprise edition with Oracle Database 10g.

We have system with 32GB RAM and 600 GB Harddisk space on system, and we have installed SAP Solution manger and SAP Netweaver (PI) 7.0 componenet on that box and in future we will add more component on this same box.

I have installed Oracle Database software for Solution manager and Netweaver System, means i installed oracle software two times.

I dont want to install oracle software for every installable products, is it possible like, if i install oracle software only single time and use for other component also except MCOD option.

If is it possible, i will be very greatful to you for suggestion.

Waiting for your kind response.

Best Regards,

V.Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Singh,

> I dont want to install oracle software for every installable products, is it possible like, if i install oracle software only single time and use for other component also except MCOD option.

Technically it would be possible, but it is not recommended.

You will have dependencies in downtime, patching, etc. Also you have to do some tricks to use the same ORACLE_HOME with different instances.

I would really suggest to use one oracle software installation for one system.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefen,

Can you suggest me how can we do???

Regards,

V.Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Would appreciate if you can clarify the following:

I dont want to install oracle software for every installable products, is it possible like, if i install oracle software only single time and use for other component also except MCOD option.

Technically it would be possible, but it is not recommended. 

You will have dependencies in downtime, patching, etc. *Also you have to do some tricks to use the same ORACLE_HOME with different instances.*
I would really suggest to use one oracle software installation for one system.

What changes we need to do for using the same ORACLE_HOME with multiple instances.

And please correct if my understanding is wrong here - installing second sap instance having multiple ORACLE_HOME for different instances.

1. Already SAP instance is running on Windows Server 2003 - Oracle 10g.

2. For second SAP instance, install Oracle Software again - with different DBID. Drive letter can be same.

3. Listener port number as well name should be different for both the instances.

4. Remove all parts referring to <Oracle_Home>\bin from the system environment variable PATH.

5. Create/Update environment variable PATH pointing to ORACLE_HOME\bin for user who will do the installation of second instance.

6. Revise ORACLE_HOME as well as listener parameters during second instance installation.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (0)