cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Export in Source system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are in process to setup a new system in our landscape. Which option is better to prefer?

Backup / restore or Export / import

If we prefer Export / Import do we need downtime? As our DB size is 300GB how much time is estimated approximatly for export. The environment is windows with Oracle.

Please suggest

Regards,

Anand

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anadh,

I would go for a backup restore as export/Import of production system(I assume) will require a downtime.

But yes I agree with Juan if you are going for QA system then export/import is a better approach only if downtime can be taken

but if it is a test system,go for backup/restore

Rohit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

setup a new system

Depending on what are you going to use the system for... if its a QA system might want to have a fresh system and transport the data instead... same for a LIV system... if its a testing environment, I'll go for a DB copy or a Homogeneous system copy.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for your time and reply

This is for new QA system. Can I prefer the DB Export / Import option using SAPinst tools? Will there be any downtime involved in it?

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are your system ABAP or ABAP + JAVA ? In any case for you the fastest way are Oracle Backup/Restore

procedure (you can use Online backup from your production system without downtime att all).

Regadrs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes there will be downtime involved for exporting the production system and I guess it might take some good no of hours to get this done.

But if you want to avoid this gp for backup/restore method,that will not involve any downtime

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks again for your replies

Its ABAP only system. My concern is if i prefer the oracle backup / restore method will the schema owner will get changed to the target <SID>. When i did a backup / restore in R/3 4.7 system I was not able to change the schema. But this will be in ECC 6 system. Should i have to consider anything in particular for this methos? I mean the schema or notes in source & target system?

I presumed that DB Export / import will be easy to complete the entire process. Also this could minimize the administrative activities. Any second thoughts on this?

Please suggest

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Export/Import for 300 GB base , i'm think it many hours ...

It depends your tablespaces name, are you have "SID" in any tablespace ? Or you have new ECC with

"SAPSR3" (or SAPR3) tablespaces ? If you have SID then oracle backup\restore are not correct way .

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sergo,

The schema owner is SAP<SID>. Also i presume the export will not take more than 10hrs and ofcourse in online. Shall i prefer the Export / import method?

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

If schema owner is SAP<SID> you can only do export\import (Or install fresh system and do client copy for example) .... Export import are offline procedure (SAP are stoped).

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sergo,

I have did export in SQL database and its done in online. But i am not sure about the oracle DB. Is SAP stopped when we perform the DB export?

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sergo,

just one question?

you said if database owner is SAP<SID>,you can only do export/import?

why so

we can perform backup/restore method and do the schema conversion sort of thing,I suppose

Please correct me If I am wrong

Also Anand you will have to take SAP down during export I believe

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Anandh : read the System copy guide :

Make sure that you shut down all SAP Application Servers before the export. The database must still

be running. Otherwise, the target system might be inconsistent.

To Rohit : i do not know how it supports from sap, may be some one comment's this.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sergo

I have just done a system copy but on SQL server.the owner of the system was <sid>

so after restoring the data on qa system,we ran the system copy tools provided by SAP to change the schema of the database

so I think it is very much possible

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rohit, yes for SQL server sap rovides special tool's for doing this , but for Oracle 10g it no so good,

for example read this 2 thread's (in first you can check the answer from SAP member Peter)

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Thanks for your time and reply. We decided to go with export / import method.

Regards,

Anand