cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Establish a secondary database connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus!!

We have our BW system installed in an AIX application server with the database oracle in a separate AIX server too.

Now, we want to create a secondary database connection to MS SQLServer database wich is installed in a separate WIN Server.

My question is, can we connect our BW system with that MS SQLServer database if the applicaton server is a UNIX?. We have other configuration with a R/3 System (running on Aix) with DB2 database wich is configured to connect to external oracle database. When we configured this connection we had to install oracle software in application server (AIX) to allow the connection between R/3 and secondary oracle database, can we install MS SQLServer software on the application server where is installed our BW (AIX)?

I think that MS SQLServer can only be installed on Windows platforms, isn't it?

Can anybody help us?

Thank you very much in advanced,

Edorta Ramos.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes MSSQL server can only be installed on Windows platform as it is a Windows product

Also i dont think you can connect BW system to SQL server database

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think so.

To confirm, Somebody knows if we can connect BW system on AIX with a SQL Server database on Windows as secondary db?

THX

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read on other post that we could use SAP BW 3.5 UDC feature but I think that for this we need to have installed Java side of SAP system, Is that right?

Thank you in advanced,

Edorta RAmos

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes but for that you will need JAVA part as you said but still I would say you would not be able to connect to MSSQL server,you can connect to windows though

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, Thank you Rohit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Edorta,

How you connected the MS SQL to BW??

Pls give the details of configuration.

By using same, can we connect SAP R/3 4.7 on UNIX to MS sql server on WIN??

Regards,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Edorta,

Have you connected the MS SQL to BW??

Pls give the details of configuration.

By using same, can we connect SAP R/3 4.7 on UNIX to MS sql server on WIN??

Regards,

Sam