cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Whole and Full database backup in DB13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Could anyone explain what is the difference between a Whole Database backup and a Full Database backup in transaction DB13?

Also, how would I restore the database to a previous backup taken via DB13? We use Oracle.

Many thanks,

Aldo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

We use Oracle. It was stated in the main question.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Aldo

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But if I do a Full database backup will it be saved into a single file?

No it won't... it will move the datafiles and other necesary files to the backup device following the setting on the init<sid>.sap file.

And how will I use it for recovery? or for restoring the DB to a previous state?

Read,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/46/ce0440a832e369e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Regards

Juan

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all!

Regards,

Aldo

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Full database backup : Will backup all the databasee files (Inclusing datafiles, online redolog files and the control files) and do the catalog. So that we can use this as the referance backup and we can do the incremental backup.

Whole database backup : Will backup all the databasee files (Inclusing datafiles, online redolog files and the control files). We can't use this for the incremental backup.

Hope you have got the bit clear idea about both types...

Regards,

JP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan,

That answers the first part of my question.

But if I do a Full database backup will it be saved into a single file? And how will I use it for recovery? or for restoring the DB to a previous state?

Many thanks,

Aldo

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That pretty much depend on what database are you using.

Theres plenty of information in help.sap.com

Regards

Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, the difference seems to be that whole backup does not create a catalog while full backup does. Read [here|http://sap.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/sap-basis/difference-between-whole-and-all-online-backup-552320]

Regards

Juan