Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sizing SRM 5.0 SLD with XI - hardware

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys this is still a topic,

we need to perform a release upgrade from SRM 2.0 with EBP 3.5 towards, I guess SRM 5.0 with EBP X.x

can somenody share insights in how to set up the system landscape for SRM 5.0.

so far we've got SRM Server, ITS and Requisite on seperate machines.

Is it right, that in SRM 5.0 I have the following components:

1. srm server with integrated ITS

2. CCM 2.0

3. catalog search engine (TREX?)

4. Catalog Authoring Tool

5. XI

Is TREX compulsory or can I do without?

Some questions:

Has someone the Enterprise Portal involved? if so, what do you use it for?

Can I have XI and SRM Server running on one host with WAS ABAP and J2EE - or better seperated?

Does TREX require its own host? or can i put all catalog related components on one machine?

Are there some charts available for example landscapes?

thanx a lot, regards,

matthias

Message was edited by: Matthias Kasig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually I'm assigned as technical quality manager for a large enterprise (Cantv) for the telecom's segment located in Venezuela. The customer has shut down the initial EBP 3.0 and now is going to start a new projects for SRM 5.0 with the business scenario Operation Procurement - Self service procurement & SAP CCM 2.0. After research over several locations in our marketplace, I didn't more information about some topics, so, I' ll appreciate further information about it like:

1.- For XI sizing, what parameters do I have to take in consideration to do it ?? Is there any manual or document that guide how to size the XI component for SRM environment ? Can I use the actual XI platform (resize) or it's recommended to have a separate instance ?

2.- The TREX that appear below, can be the same of the portal ?? Or do we need to install another trex instance ???

3.- The natural communication between EBP & the backend (here is R/3 47Xx200) is via idocs, however, why it's not done via XI ???

If you are not able to answer these questions, i'll appreciate if you may forward these to someone in the organization that can provide us some clues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias,

CCM 2.0 is composed by 2 sub components:

- CAT (Catalog Authoring Tool)

- CSE (catalog search engine)

TREX is mandatory for CSE. TREX is the indexation and search engine. You can't do without it.

Single host or multi host installation is a question of sizing and performance, so there is no classic answer or algorythm.

You have to now that single host installation avoid the use of XI for certain scenarios (catalog publishing...).

To understand the use of each component, I invite you to read the SRM 5.0 master guide.

SAPNet, alias instguides --> mySAP Business Suite solutions --> mySAP SRM --> SRM server 5.5.

https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700003030762005E/MG_SRM50_V1-3.pdf

Here you will find architecture diagram examples.

There is also an upgrade guide.

Rgds

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

hi christophe,

the master guide shows a chart on page 21, minimal sld, with everything on a single host. what's the meaning of that - merely a theoretical thought?

concerning the role of XI:

I thought it is placed between MM-Backend and SRM Server, in the technical landscape charts this does not seem to be the case. In fact it links/maps bewtween CCM 2.0 and SRM Server.

So in a scenario without XI... how is catalog and SRM linked?

regards, matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Master guides always contain theorical information, but are full of practical one.

In this case, this is not theorical at all.

A single host installation can be done, but for dev or test systems.

Xi is in charge of processing Business Processes and XML messages.

There are none between SRM & MM, as everything is done via RFC or ABAP.

Main XML flows handled by XI:

- Order collaboration with SUS (from SRM or MM)

- Order collaboration with Supplier systems

- catalog upload and publishing:

-- R/3 catalog extraction

-- SRM catalog / contract extraction

-- manual XML upload

-- publishing between CAT & CSE

- Supplier Self registration

-- supplier directory

-- supplier update in R/3

For SRM / CCM you have to distinguish two aspects:

- the content management, where we use XI to upload XML files

- the catalog browsing & search from SRM, where we use OCI protocol (HTTP or XML flow) to get back catalog item data to SRM shopping cart. In that flow, we don't need XI.

Rgds

Christophe

- Master data

matthias_kasig2
Participant
0 Kudos

hi christophe,

if i am informed rightly, XI is an optional component in srm 5.5 Please correct me if i am wrong.

If in the case, without XI... how can catalog upload be established?

In our case (currently on srm 2.0) the catalog is being updated from MM sytem to requisite. A txt file is generated, and then imported in emerge of requisite.

But i guess in zhe case with CCM 2.0 you still can have the Backend MM System which contains master data, which again flows into the catalog.

This brings about <b>2 questions</b>:

<b>1)</b> So if, like in our case, the master data server for the catalog is MM System - don't I need XI between MM and CCM Systems then?

<b>2)</b> Taken SRM 5.5 as it is - how is the catalog upload and publishing and extraction achieved without XI?

thanx once more, matthias