SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining special type of appraisal: 1 grade after 3 semester

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello folks,

I'm trying to implement a special method of getting the final mark for a subject.

For example we have the course "English", which is offered the first 3 semester. So we have an exam each semester, makes 3 marks. Afters three semester the course is finished and the student gets one total mark.

How would you implement this?

I have two ideas, but with disadvantages.

(1)

Creating one module (PIQSM) with 3 events. Each semester the student is booked in one event. Then there is an appraisal template where the tutor can enter 3 marks. The total grad is calculated by the system.

BUT: How can I make sure that first event Eng I, then Eng II and last Eng III is booked? It is not possible to define events as Prerequisite of.

(2)

Creating one module group (PIQCG) English with 4 modules English I, II, III and EngFinal. So the modules have to be booked in sequenze, defined by Prerequisite of. Each module hast one mark. In module EngFinal the tutor enters the final grade, which he has calculated manually. And there is the disadvantages: he has to do it by himself.

More ideas?

Thanks,

Robert Seidler

12 REPLIES 12

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Robert,

For what you describe here, you should look at the EHP3 functionality called 'Composite Modules'.

There, you can have the appraisals for one (or more) modules be included and considered during the appraisal of another module.

Good luck!

Michael

0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Could you hint us where we can make a module composite of other.. I am going through the relationship

but could not find. Is it in the IMG activity?

Sravan

0 Kudos

Sravan,

It is not a relationship. The included modules are stored in Infotype 1764 (Cohort Context, subtype 8000). When creating a Module from the Module catalog, look for the tab 'Included in Appraisal'.

Please refer to the Release Notes for SAP ERP 6.0 EHP3 (page 25 and page 29) for more information. Release Notes can be found in the 'Release & Upgrade Info' tab within SAP Service Marketplace.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I tried it with "Included in Appraisal" and got the following problems:

(1)

I created a module group English with 3 modules eng1, eng2, eng3. Those three have under the tab "Included in Appraisal" each other. Then I created three sequential events for each module, representing semester 1,2,3. I booked a student on the first two events. Then I want to give this student marks in each module. But there is no note that the marks of each module are depending on each other. So the question is: Where does the information under the tab "Included in Appraisal" has its impact, during entering the grade?

(2)

During the creation of module eng1 there is of course not the possibility do enter something in the tab "Included in Appraisal" because its the first module. So I create eng2 and eng3 where I could enter eng1 as the depending module. After that I tried to create also this entry for eng1, but the systems doesn't let me create a new cohort context subtype. It gives the errror: Time constraint not found for SM 1764

Message no. 5A121. So the question is: How can I create a new Subtype 8000 for an existing module?

(3)

I looked in the Marketplace to find SAP ERP 6.0 EHP3 (page 25 and page 29), but there it is divided into subcategories and each pdf has new page numbers. Looking into the section for SLCM I couldn't found something related to our problems. I guess there is nowhere a step by step tutorial showing how to do this?

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos

Robert,

The creation of the Module Group is not necessary. It is only for convenience. You should have one 'top' module, which 'includes' the appraisals for the other modules. So, in your case, the top module includes the appraisals for the other two. (the 'bottom' modules don't include anything)

Then, from the appraisal dialog of the top module, you can see the included appraisals from the lower modules.

The top module must have an Appraisal Template that includes an Appriasal Type for the included module appraisals. That Appraisal Type must have a Key Figure associated with it.

In order to roll-up the grades, you need to use a provided RFC (HRIQ_RFC_COMPMOD_CALCULATE) that you call from your own process. This RFC will calculate the average grade for the included modules and place the result into the approriate Appraisal Type of the top module.

This is difficult to explain fully in this forum. You really need to dive into the release notes to understand it all. They are definitely in the EHP3 release notes.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I found the release notes. The Problem was, that the German PDF in the marketplace has only 7 pages and the English PDF 76 with more content.

I followed the description on page 25. Created three new study modules (englow1, englow2, engtop). Engtop includes the two other. I created a new appraisal template (Overall Grade, Exam, Modules Included) and assigned it to Engtop. I checked that a key figure and a perfomance index is set.

I booked a student on all three study modules, gave him marks in englow1 and englow2.

And now I have a problem.

1) The release note writes:

3. When the collective module is appraised, calculation can be executed by means of the standard calculation options. A new function is available on the Appraisal screen (transaction PIQSMFU) for displaying the appraisals of modules included.

When I open the appraisal screen for Engtop I can't found this new function for displaying the appraisals of modules included.

2) You say I have to use the RFC HRIQ_RFC_COMPMOD_CALCULATE that I should call from my one process. Where do I have to start this process or define it?

Thanks for you patience,

Robert

0 Kudos

Robert,

In the appraisal transaction 'PIQSMFU', the button you are looking for is the 4th from the left (just to the right of the 'Calculate' button).

The function module to automatically calculate the grades needs to be called from your own process. You could do it via the Post-Processing Framework, or just schedule a regular report.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi,

what is the modulebooking_id the RFC expects? ID of the study module e.g. "Engtop" or a number like 50000492? I tried several inputs but it always says there are no bookings on this study module. But if I go to the student and look what he has for bookings they are displayed.

I found the icon, sorry, I should have looked more concentrated.

Robert

0 Kudos

Robert,

The Module Booking ID is a unique identifier for the booking record. You can see it in the Activity Document, and you can also see it in the 'Additional Data' of the booking relationship between the student and the module.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Robert ,

Its an intresting question !! I have a query , this is only for corure English or for the other courses too ..

Did PI work for the course English and the result is coming correctly ??

Can u just elaborate what will be the objective of calculating only 3 semester so we know the business scenario much better....because we have seen calculating our GPA' s / CGPA 's ...... at end of the couse which we treat as a transcript ....

Best Regards

Gajalakshmi

0 Kudos

@Michael

I found my booking ID and the RFC does not give me an error. But the grade is not calculated. The result is 0,00. Here the return-table:

T_¦ ID_________¦ Num ¦ Message

E ¦ hrpiqgrading ¦ 133 ¦ I:hrpiqgrading:133

Could it be, that all appraisal must have the status "finished"?

If somebody else has my problems two hints:

- the modulbooking-ID looks like DE299F7627624AF1BAA80022640496A6

- you can also find them in the database-table PIQPROC_AWCD

@Gajalakshmi

That's just the business scenario how it works on the university. You visit the course English for three semester, finish it with one mark each semester and after all three you only get one mark, which is the one on your diploma.

What do you mean with "corure English"?

Thanks,

Robert

Edited by: Robert Seidler on Apr 16, 2009 3:41 PM

0 Kudos

SOLVED

Hey folks,

I got it Using the debug-mode I found out it had something to do with my performance index and key figure. I defined a new index and key figure and now the RFC calculates correctly.

By the way, the message I:hrpiqgrading:133 means Error during calculation.

One last question:

The grades are now calculated 50:50 (if there are two underlying modules). To implement a weighting I guess I have to set a filter in the definition of the performance index? Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks a lot for your help and patience,

Robert