Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implication of Namespace Prefix

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Something I need to understand:

What is the implication do creating a namespace prefix? For example, I have create a SC with:

Vendor: trial.com.ex1

Name: TEST_PROD

Then I create an SC with:

Vandor: trial.com.ex1

Name: TEST_SC

Now I create a Development Component namespace prefix as trial.com.ex1/TEST.

Now I go to my developer studio and create a DC with Vendor: trial.com (note: I didn't give trial.com<b>.ex1</b>).

Name: trialdc

What effect will this have on my build? Should it have allowed me to create a DC with this vendor? Or is this some other Development Component and has nothing to do with the DC I created. I am basically trying to understand the significance of the namespace prefix w.r.t. the categories.

My concepts about the namespaces are not clear and I couldn't find any satisfactory explanation for this.

Nirav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

As per my understanding, Namespace is only required if you are building something for the outside world. If you are building something which is for own use and if it does needs to be released as a product by your company, then generally you would not require a namespace prefix.

If you want a namespace, then you will have to register your namespace so that someone else does not uses it.

If you are refering to a namespace which you want for just as a standard, then you can do that as per your company's rule. Namespace is otional part in NWDS setup.

I hope i am correct. But i will do some more reading and let you know.

Regards

Gaurav Gandhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

For just internal development it is also good practice to use namespace prefixes: This ensures that your components follow the same naming convention. Note that you do NOT have to register a namespace at SAP!

Former Member
0 Kudos

And, something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, a Name Server is required for (I think) SP13 and later versions of the JDI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, I think I understand the namespace prefix better now.

Regards,

Nirav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My personal experience is that it takes a while for a defined namespace prefix to become available in the NWDS. In our case it seemed not get there at all, so we triggered an Update CMS and restarted our NWDS's. After a while the namespace prefix became available, but we're not sure if that was because of the Update CMS.

Note that you must have defined a NameServer Configuration in the DTR for these namespace prefix definitions to become available at all in your NWDS.

Once you have this working correctly, you will not be able to use something different than what has been defined in your NWDS as you were able to do now. On the other hand I don't think using this other vendor will give you any trouble.

Message was edited by: Pascal Willemsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Note that you must have defined a NameServer

> Configuration in the DTR for these namespace prefix

> definitions to become available at all in your NWDS.

How do I do this? I have added a namespace prefix in the SLD. Is there anything else I need to do?

Does this mean that the namespace prefix is only relevant if this configuration has been done? As in, will there be a validation at the time of creation of the DC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, validation only occurs if you have defined a NameServer in the DTR.

Go to the DTR WebUI -> system-tools -> administration -> NameServer Configuration.

See help.sap.com for more info on the subject.