Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUI Download In BackGround

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using a Function Module which calls GUI Download.While trying to call my Function Module in BackGround Task(or by using qRFC), i get a SYS Fail in my Queue , due to GUI Download returning the following exception :

FILE_WRITE_ERROR (Cannot Write to File)

Can any one help?

Thanks,

Gaurav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

You cannot write data to Presentation Server while executing the program in the background, GUI_DOWNLOAD will not work.

So your option is to write a file on the app server, which can be done by OPEN DATASET.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : please mark the helpful answers

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

You cannot write data to Presentation Server while executing the program in the background, GUI_DOWNLOAD will not work.

So your option is to write a file on the app server, which can be done by OPEN DATASET.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : please mark the helpful answers

suresh_datti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This issue has been discussed umpteen times.. you cannot download to the frontend in a background job simply because the GUI isn't available. You will have to use OPEN DATASET and put the file on the Application server in the background and then use the transaction CG3Y in the foreground to download the file to the pc from the application server.

Regards,

Suresh Datti

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for that...but my requirement is to first create a folder and then write the file into it.Since i can't create folders on Application Server, thats why i am using Presentation Server

0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

there is no way to do it as a background job.. create the folder.. transfer the file to the appliaction server in the backgorund using OPEN DATASET... use the tcode CG3Y to download the file from the app server to your folder..

Regards,

Suresh Datti

0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

I get your point Suresh..

But i can't create Folders in the Application Server.

I guess there is no way to create folders there.

And writing the file directly to Application Server without creating folders doesn't serve the purpose for me.

Rgds,

Gaurav

0 Kudos

Hi everybody...

I got the same situation... the program that a need to develop must download a txt both, to the local PC in foregroung (normal execution) and in the background (the user select to run the program in background). How to do this with GUI_DOWNLOAD (local-background case) since OPEN/CLOSE DATASET only works for download in the server??.

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

José Gabriel Martínez.

0 Kudos

Hi everybody...

I got the same situation... the program that a need to develop must download a txt both, to the local PC in foregroung (normal execution) and in the background (the user select to run the program in background). How to do this with GUI_DOWNLOAD (local-background case) since OPEN/CLOSE DATASET only works for download in the server??.

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

José Gabriel Martínez.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m new here and I´m very happy that I found this problem in between 2 minutes.

As I see that the last reply to this problem was in 2006, thru the years, nothing really changed.

Now it´s 2009 and I still got this problem too.

But I got a little help, but I did not understand this really, so maybe someone can help me as well.

So, the GUI_DOWNLOAD (and even UPLOAD) doesn´t work in background.

But, there´s a function that works fine even in the background. It calls "SCMS_DOWNLOAD".

OK, it only does the donwload, not creating a folder ....

What I don´t understand is, if you debug this function, you will see, that at the end, it calls the GUI_DOWNLOAD function and it works fine then.

So I guess, if you write a function, that calls a function, that ..... and at the end you call the function "GUI_DOWLNOAD" it will work.

Can some tell me what I have to do concretly???

Greeting

Martin

Edited by: Martin Meier on Feb 3, 2009 10:34 AM

0 Kudos

hi Martin,

I too am stuck with this issue. I tried to call the function module SCMS_DOWNLOAD in my program, and run my program as a background job. It didnot work. Can you elaborate a little on your case where it works.

Thanks & Regards

Jeevan

0 Kudos

Hi,

Even i tried using FM 'SCMS_DOWNLOAD', it's not working in background..

could you help me how to do it..