cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if user names are case insensitive in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

We know that user names are case insensitive in SAP systems and the SAP systems store the user names in upper case. Then when I am using JCO and I covert a user name (germanßuser) to uppercase (GERMANSSUSER) in

my java code and then invoke BAPI_USER_EXISTENCE_CHECK (this BAPI just checks whether the user specified by the user name exists or not) thru JCO, we get

that this user does not exist.

This seems to be an issue with the SAP system. How should this be resolved? Is this a known issue?

Steps for the Reconstruction

Convert user name (that has the german ß character) to upper case in java code and then invoke thru JCO the BAPI_USER_EXISTENCE_CHECK BAPI.

You would get that this user does not exist. However this is incosistent with SAPs assertion that usernames are stored in uppercase and uppercase usernames should be passed in through JCO.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

send me your email address and i shall send you the documentation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

khanna111@yahoo.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Most probably you are transferring the german character to uppercase in a different way than the SAP system. It's not that there is a problem with the storage of user names. You can easily verify this by using a more standard name.

The java uses heavily the Unicode table for the uppercase convention. I doubt the problem is there if you are using the standard ways to make upper case.

"myUser".toUpperCase(locale)

Is your R3 system unicode or not ? And are you connecting properly to it ? I suggest that you search the JCO documentation how to connect for the two types.

HTH

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

The question is then where is the documentation or specification on converting usernames to uppercase as required by r/3?

Can somebody provide a pointer to it?