cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info - Filtering of big messages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to inform you of a change we implemented at the weekend: Since we have massive problems with the forum servers' CPU usage when big messages are rendered and all the markup filters are applied, we had to turn these filters off for messages that have more than 5,000 characters.

We might increase this number again, but until now we had to do this in order to prevent daily restarts of the whole forum environment.

Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

I thought the 2009 limit was bad. Now, in August 2010, the limit has evidently been reduced even further. You can't even frame a decent thought before you hit the format limit. This is totally unacceptable.

SCN needs to revert to something reasonable - the previous limit was barely adequate. This is not Twitter.

I am seriously considering just stopping my support of this forum.

Rgds,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

>I am seriously considering just stopping my support of this forum.

I also have this kind of feeling.

The situation is known by SAP but we don't see any improvements...

If all active members leave the boat, I don't think these forums will look good with only questions and no answers.

If I remember well, only 2% of members are active members...

Regards,

Olivier

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This issue has been around for several days now!

Could we please have comment from one of the SDN team as to whether this will be fixed before next month?

It is really counter-productive to the good usage of the forums when a 15 line response cannot be properly rendered.

Having just read another thread which was confusingly marked as closed I'm hoping for a fix at 0900 CET.

Thanks,

Chris

UPDATE: - issue is now fixed. We can read our messages again. - Now the problem with reusing an existing thread - no-one around to close it

Edited by: Chris Paine on Aug 12, 2010 9:45 AM add link to another thread

Edited by: Chris Paine on Aug 20, 2010 9:23 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recently I noticed some longer posts which did not loose their formatting, but now someone seems to have lobbed a 0 off the backend of some customizing somewhere and thousands of posts in the forms look like a dog's breakfast - including comments to this thread which are not particularly long at all.

Is the setting now 500?

Can this issue please have a setting which is then either kept, or extended, but not reduced in an ad hoc way.

I have spent many hours formatting the sticky threads because of this and answering bewildered Abuse Reports about it...

Cheers,

Julius

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Plus 1 - this is something that should have been caught and dealt with before being applied across the forums.

I'm not needing unlimited length (that would be nice, but ...) but can we please, at least, return to the limits previously imposed?

Could we have a forum patch deployed? Possibly one that does not need a restart

Many of the responses that actually explained in depth now look like rubbish - even if the author, like Rich (and referenced in this thread) had taken the time to split the post.

Thanks,

Chris

PS Julius - Kudos for doing the search for relevant thread first before starting a new thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

I always search, except now I can only read about half of the answers..

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just saw myself the results of the 2500 character limitation: [;

Allow me to say as the others said above: this limitation is really painful for the customers. Just see my example, a customer has dedicated a lot of time to go search for information and found a lot of documentation. And when he decided to provide feedback to the community, he was badly hit by the poor formatting. He made the effort to write a very useful 3537 characters post - and instead of being awarded for his good deed, he was punished and his post now is barely readable. Do you think this man will be satisfied with the performance of the SDN forums and will try to contribute to the community again?

I do understand that the forum administrators have to fight with the performance issues. And I can accept limiting the length of a post, not the best decision, still reasonable.

What I cannot understand is why there is no warning when the message length is higher than 2500 characters? Would it be possible, for example, to embed a small piece of JavaScript in the message post code, so that the script counts the number of characters entered by the poster. Can such a script display a notification like "Posts in forums are limited to 2500 characters; if you continue writing, your post will lose all formatting", or something similar?

This could be much nicer way to ask the posters not to write big posts. And without being a JavaScript export, I suppose it should not be hard at all to implement such functionality.

Hope this helps,

Rossen

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Small change, large benefit -> implement!

Edit: even the biggest contributor of them all is not amused...

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Edit: even the biggest contributor of them all is not amused...

>

And notice that none of the "courageous" moderators had anything to say

Rob

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps someone sent him an email instead?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have seen Abuse Reports come in for posts longer than 2500 characters with the comments that they are a violation of the forum rules...

I just ignore them, unless it is a copy&paste job. Which I am sure is not the case here, but keeping an eye out for "Part 3: It is ridiculous that I have to do this" being re-used by someone else could be...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have seen Abuse Reports come in for posts longer than 2500 characters with the comments that they are a violation of the forum rules...

I do this sometimes, when I feel that somebody is point-fishing with ready-to-use-code for lazy do-my-work questions. I believe that the OP needs to put "some" effort into trying to solve a problem before asking for the "sample code".

The more the number of charges against an offender, the brighter chances of getting him convicted.

pk

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It makes points hunters easy to spot. They just post and never check the formatting. And yes - it is indicative of copy pasting.

matt

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> #2

>

> Small change, large benefit -> implement!

>

> Edit: even the biggest contributor of them all is not amused...

>

At least he got duly rewarded for the amount of effort....

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are ways of posting big messages for those with an experimental frame of mind. But at least this limit cuts down on posting entire short dumps, and makes the more intelligent ABAP posters think about posting just the relevant part of their posts.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> There are ways of posting big messages for those with an experimental frame of mind. But at least this limit cuts down on posting entire short dumps, and makes the more intelligent ABAP posters think about posting just the relevant part of their posts.

maybe - yes, for those who know what they are doing, true.

But at times of terrabytes of harddisk space, multi-core-multi-threaded high-frequence CPUs, gigabytes of memory and big Java heaps it's not really understandable that something quite trivial like a forum software is not able to handle more than 2000 characters per post, compared to other highly complex applications running on top of a Java engine - allegedly.

Nobody looses a word if high-gloss powerpoints have 100+ MBs, nobody cares administrators having to deal with terrabytes of mailboxes but 2000 characters for a forum, which is about people communicating, should be enough? Imagine if you were forced to switch your Outlook or Notes mails to text-only, no more bold, italic, underline... would you and the people your work with, be happy with it?

What would you think if you're trying to understand and learn a new piece of software without having an idea of it and then suddenly you are told, that exactly that software is limited to 2000 characters by post - technically to not overload the engine - would that increase your trust in it for an "enterprise application"?

Just some thoughts, not everyone is an expert and not everyone knows, what developers/supporters/contributors are looking for in a special error/question situation. IMHO this limitation is alienating beginners - eventually.

All my respect for the people running that forum, no offense, not trying insult someone and I'm sure they are trying to find a solution - hopefully soon.

Markus

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

as there is no character counter or any kind of user notification this is a bad decision.

Many users - including myself - got angry about the "unformatting" done by the forum software.

If at least the line breaks would be left in place the problem would be much smaller.

But the current setup is just a post-wrangler...

Could you please look into this and have it changed so that one can post reasonable posts again?

thanks,

Lars

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to ask the same. Could you please try to fix the issue together with Jive or the responsible software owner? It's ridiculous to try to format a reply to figure out .. sigh more then 2.500 characters ... looks like crap

Thanks,

Hannes

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

recently I realized that we're not alone with this great forum software...

Oracles OTN also uses it. And the users of it are [as happy as we are|http://rwijk.blogspot.com/2009/06/otn-forums-versus-stack-overflow.html] about it.

Maybe one could start to think of alternatives for SDN as well...

Cheers,

Lars

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Maybe one could start to think of alternatives for SDN as well...

Full ack. Sun (/Oracle) uses it too...

Without trying to sound heretical: Maybe Java is not the right platform for such a load, I know a forum based on phpBB which runs with thousands of concurrent users without those kind of problems.

Markus

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did the SDN/SCN upgrade this weekend bring any changes or are we still facing this ridiculous issue?

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Changes in Font size, look and feel. But The issue(2500 chars limit issue) still there.

Edited by: Vijay Babu Dudla on Jun 29, 2009 5:16 AM

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well,

I'm completely disappointed how the handling of this issue went up to now. SAP committet to use this Java based forum and now neither the provider nor SAP (I'm really not interested in who is responsible) is not able to fix this issue.

I already contacted SDN management and asked for assistance and up to now, nothing happened. Even not a comment like "we are working on a solution" but simply ignoring the community and their needs. Does someone from the SDN management team knows how the forums are used? I doubt that they know ...

An attitude like "we only create workarounds but do not fix issues" is a shame

Former Member
0 Kudos

And what a bad advertisement about performance and reliability for the Java stack based products...

I am a user of a lot of other user forums on the Internet and this Jive forum software is by far the worst I've ever used.

Ergonomy and ease of use is very very outdated and primitive.

This is very disapppointing from a software giant like SAP company...

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Full ack. Sun (/Oracle) uses it too...

That's true.

But unfortunately for us (SAP) Oracle seems to do a much better job in using the forum software.

Their technical forum (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/) don't limit the length of posts by punishing the authors for writing longer replies.

> Without trying to sound heretical: Maybe Java is not the right platform for such a load, I know a forum based on phpBB which runs with thousands of concurrent users without those kind of problems.

So true...

regards,

Lars

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> And what a bad advertisement about performance and reliability for the Java stack based products...

service.sap.com/XXXXXX is worse. I get 10 - 20 times a day "service unavailable" in all kinds of applications on the SMP - so to me this seems to be a non-forum-only but more a general Java issue, for whatever reason.

I wrote quite a few mails about the forum and the speed of it in the past to the SDN support guys and they are trying hard - but you can't win an F1 race with bicycle.

Markus

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Definitely a welcome one !!!!!!!!. At times in sales forum there would be some dump or runtime errors and instead of indicating the issue, members used to post the entire error message which goes to multiple pages and I am sure, nobody would go through the entire program.

So in that way, these types of messages have to be truncated.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi