cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remaining Order Plan.....No SAP Notes Please....

0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I want someone who really understands Remaining Order Plan to validate if my understanding of it is correct or not. If it is not correct, I would like someone to explain it. I am not finding satisfactory answers from any SAP PS consultant yet, on Remaining Order Plan. Whenever, I ask this question, they say, they will get back with the answer and the next thing you know is that they have disappeared into Aladdin's Magic Lamp.

-

I understand that,

Assigned = Actual Costs + Commitment + Remaining Order Plan.

I believe that Remaining Order Plan, basically is the value, that is deduced when we assign activities to WBS elements, and arrive at a certain figure called Planned Costs. At this point, All WBS elements have the status CRTD, .i.e., created.

So at this stage (CRTD Status), I believe that, Assigned = Planned Costs, or we can also say that,

Rem Ord Plan = Planned Costs.

Now, Once we have released the WBS Elements, Actual Costs are going to be incurred, and we are gonna have additional commitments, apart from planned commitments, (realizing that we missed some commitments we had to assign while creating the plan during CRTD Status).

So, Now during (REL Status), i.e., Released Status, the formula for Assigned would look like this.

Assigned = Actual Costs + Commitments + Remaining Ord Plan.

-

Now, Referring to the Assigned Formula, in both the CRTD and REL status, lets analyze how Remaining Order Plan behaves.

In the Released Status, if Actual Costs = 0 &

Commitment = 0 &

then,

Assigned = 0 + 0 + RemOrdPlan.

==> RemOrdPlan = Plan Costs

Hence, Assigned = Planned Costs.

As real costs are incurred (i.e., Actual & Commitments), values move from RemOrdPlan to Actual & Commitments Columns, or say they are apportioned appropriately to these two columns, and what is still remaining of the Planned Costs we would term that Remaining Order Plan.

Suppose, Actual + Commitment = Planned Costs, at some stage in the project, It means, we havae reached the threshold value of the Planned Costs, and the combination of both Actual + Commitment, can cross the planned costs. ( not in all cases, but maybe in some cases, as no one can plan a project ideally anyhow ).

Once the threshold value of Planned Costs has reached, it would mean that RemOrdPlan is completely apportioned appropriately to both Actual and Commitment Columns. Hence, the Assigned column would look like this...

Assigned = Actual ( % of Rem Ord Plan) + Commitment ( Remaining % of Rem Ord Plan ) + 0.

Here, 0 means, zero value in Remaining Order Plan, as it has distributed its values to Actual and Commitment in a certain percentage depending on how the project was executed.

-

Now, During one of the projects, I have noticed that,

if Planned costs was 100,000 during CRTD stage, they were distributed, in a certain percentage like say,

10 % to Actual & 25% to Commitment. Hence, 65 % is still left with RemOrdPlan Column.

Hence , Assigned = 100%,

The problem is that, When you see, the System status, it shows, ISBD, Insufficient Budgeting, even if there is the same 65% amount available in the RemOrdPlan column. My argument, is that, when RemOrdPlan is something still consumable, how can the system show insufficient budgeting, ISBD status, when there is still 65% in Rem Ord Plan, and that same amount available in WBS element, (via budgeting transactions).

Moreover, the Available Column should show the same amount as RemOrdPlan, that is 65% of the amount, but it does not. Because, in reality, RemOrdPlan is what is available, and still left to be consumed, until it becomes zero. I think, this concept is confusing all the project engineers who are SAP PS, users.

Please, can anyone throw more light on the above arguments.

Regards,

Owais.....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Owais Bin Abdul Aziz,

I've read your post in order to understand where RemOrdPlan comes from.

And for what I understand it seems that Assigned is always equal to Planned Cost, not only when Actual Costs = 0 and

Commitment = 0. Correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use IW39 or implement the contents of OSS922177. It provides a Utility program to calculate the residual order plan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Owais,

Let me try to explain my understanding about availability control and residual order plan 😃 hope it'll help

The problem is that, When you see, the System status, it shows, ISBD, Insufficient Budgeting, even if there is the same 65% amount available in the RemOrdPlan column. My argument, is that, when RemOrdPlan is something still consumable, how can the system show insufficient budgeting, ISBD status, when there is still 65% in Rem Ord Plan, and that same amount available in WBS element, (via budgeting transactions).

Status ISBD is set for any activity which is relevant for availability control which increase the assigned value not actual value.

If you include the activity group 02 (Orders for project) in your availability control setting then any increase you make in order plan value will trigger the availability control ergo it will set the ISBD status if the value exceeds the tolerance limit even it's still a plan value, not an actual value yet

Moreover, the Available Column should show the same amount as RemOrdPlan, that is 65% of the amount, but it does not. Because, in reality, RemOrdPlan is what is available, and still left to be consumed, until it becomes zero. I think, this concept is confusing all the project engineers who are SAP PS, users.

IMO, if the system shows the 65% of the amount in Available column, user will assume that that amount is free to use while in fact the value is already 'reserved' only for material/activity which has been planned, user can't post any cost outside what has been planned

Please correct me if I'm wrong 😃

Regards,

-K-

Edited by: Kealin F on Mar 30, 2009 5:54 AM

0 Kudos

{IMO, if the system shows the 65% of the amount in Available column, user will assume that that amount is free to use while in fact the value is already 'reserved' only for material/activity which has been planned, user can't post any cost outside what has been planned

Please correct me if I'm wrong 😃

Yes Kealin, I agree with what you have said above. Suppose, in the CRTD status, the user assigned material components, then it means during REL status, that material component should be equated to a PR, for the same planned amount. So, User should not be able to use what has been planned for.

But, Can you tell me, what if Available column, has some value $xxxx, and RemOrdPlan, has value, equating to planned costs. How do you think, Available column is getting computed. Is there any specific way Available column gets computed.

Another question is, we all know that what is planned is never what is executed in the end. Either, the value of execution would have been less when compared to the planned value, and most times it overshoots the planned value. So in this case, how is RemOrdPlan adjusted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But, Can you tell me, what if Available column, has some value $xxxx, and RemOrdPlan, has value, equating to planned costs. How do you think, Available column is getting computed. Is there any specific way Available column gets computed.

Formula for Available = Budget - (Actual + Commitment + RemOrdPlan)

You can check it in trx CJE5 (form 12KST1A )

You can change the formula if you wish (take the RemOrdPlan out from the equation) but IMO it won't make any sense if you still include the activity group 02 (Orders for project) in your availability control setting

If you don't want RemOrdPlan to be taken into account in both availability control and PS reporting, there's an utility program for that purpose, please check note 853530.

Another question is, we all know that what is planned is never what is executed in the end. Either, the value of execution would have been less when compared to the planned value, and most times it overshoots the planned value. So in this case, how is RemOrdPlan adjusted

As far as I know, the value of RemOrdPlan is stored in RPSCO and it only stores the value not quantity, therefore RemOrdPlan is only adjusted based on value, not quantity

For example: you create a reservation 10 pcs material X for a NWA

At the time you release the WBS, the price for material X was 100/pc (i.e RemOrdPlan is 1,000)

At the time of execution, the price was only 90/pc.

Even if you have completed to issue all material required (10 pcs) with total value 900, the RemOrdPlan will still show value 100 because of the price difference

To reset the value to 0, you have to tick the Final Issue indicator in the reservation