Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set required number of days for the user passwords to expire

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do I set the duration when users are required to change their passwords? This is an internal control measure to ensure control over users' logins.

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I guess you are talking about this parameter. login/password_expiration_time. For detail information check this help link.

[Security in SAP|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/22/41c43ac23cef2fe10000000a114084/content.htm]

Regards,

Subhash

3 REPLIES 3

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I guess you are talking about this parameter. login/password_expiration_time. For detail information check this help link.

[Security in SAP|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/22/41c43ac23cef2fe10000000a114084/content.htm]

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frances,

Validity of user's passwords would depend upon the value set for the parameter as Subhas has already mentioned in the system.

The value of this parameter ranges from 0 to 1000 days, 0 being the default.The value to be set would depend on your co's IT security policy.

Thanks,

Saby..

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also set the lifetime of a single password dependent on it's "idle" status:

- Initial password at user creation. (e.g. 5 days)

- Reset password by admin. (e.g. 1 day)

- Productive password not used (e.g 91 days)

.. and the minimum validity of the password, regardless of how often it is used (not idle).

- Productive password expiration time. (e.g. 90 days)

You can also manually observe what is going on via report/transaction RSUSR200.

If you take a look at the documentation on the parameters in the link already provided, you will see the logic and the dependencies between them. The selection fields of RSUSR200 reflect the same.

How you rate the risk of passwords and these settings, also depends on many other things - most notably how disciplinced admins are at using the password wizard (in my opinion).

Cheers,

Julius