cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Business Connector & UPS World Ship Software

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi @all,

I like to implement an interface for data transfer from SAP Backend to UPS World Ship to indicate delivery ticketing.

Now I heared that I can use SAP Business Connector (SAP BC) to realise it. Does anyone of you know how how to configure SAP BC to send/retrieve the data to/from World Ship?

Thank you very much in advance,

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

basically both SAP BC and XI / PI would be able to do data exchange with external partners. The questions are, which data you need to send / receive? Not every format or protocol is doable for an out-of-the-box BC or XI / PI.

But HTTP(S), FTP(S), SOAP, or other common ways should not be a problem. Some more details regarding your requirements would be helpful to give a better answer ;o)

For differences between XI and BC check:

How to guides for BC are available in here.... just seach for them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry for beeing late with my answer, but here it is

We want to exchange delivery orders.

We like to send delivery data (delivery number, customer name, contact person, adress lines, delivery location, delivery land, phone number, references, ect.) to Worldship during the printing activity.

The data we like to recieve from Wordship is tracking number, date and time of delivery and the name of the subscriber.

Worldship uses ODBC to send data back to SAP.

Kind Regards,

Stefan Burghardt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

the required data should not be a problem. In SAP you should be able to use standard IDocs for this communication.

SAP XI / PI is able to connect and communicate to ODBC via jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc Driver. For SAP BC I am not quite sure at the moment, but as it's able to work with DBs I think it should be possible.

Regards,

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP BC and SAP PI/XI server same purpose. SAP BC being an old technology, has some drawbacks in terms of stability and amount of transactions. So if you do not have a very large landscape and your interfacing scenarios and not too complicared then you can go for SAP BC, as this would be much cheaper.

In SAP BC you can have HTTP/S, FTP, XML, DB transfers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Siddhesh S.Tawate

Former Member
0 Kudos

BC can also use an JDBC ODBC bridge driver, yes.

and one remark about the interesting statement: "SAP BC being an old technology, has some drawbacks in terms of stability and amount of transactions."

hmm, old technology and amount of transactions, agreed. But drawback in stability ?? I have seen Business Connector systems running for a year without reboot. Show me an XI system which is capable of that

CSY

Edited by: Christian Sy on Apr 27, 2009 3:59 PM

Edited by: Christian Sy on Apr 27, 2009 4:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

You shoud keep in mind that SAP is going to stop BC support in the coming days. They already told about it. But I am not sure of the date. So please recheck.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

SAP has been telling about ending support for SAP BC for a long time - but then in July 2008 the latest version 4.8 was released. End of support is now set for 2016 - although SAP tells everybody to go for XI / PI. For someone how does not need a complex system to communicate with a lot of partners and systems - just needs to integrate a few, maybe simple secenarios - SAP BC would be the better choice. It's easier to install, in administration and provides some additional features which are partly not available in XI / PI.

Regards,

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few months ago I saw this presentation at an ASUG conference, could be helpful in what you're looking to do. You can download the webcast at:

http://jive.asug.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/21227-102-1-24560/DistTrans.6.30.09.wrf

The SAP ASUG presentation discusses multi-carrier integration into SAP. There's also a demo that includes live demonstrations in a customer environment.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member732072
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Please have a look at the following links and see if it helps.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4f27ad80-0c01-0010-f8b8-c5e153a1...

Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please give some more details: what kind of technology does that UPS system use: HTTP/SOAP ? File ? Other ? And what kind of objects do you want to exchange ?

CSY