cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error when previewing reports with prompts

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Prompting failed with the following error message: 'Unexpected error.'.

Error source: Prompt.dll Error code: 0x80043800"

... This error occurs when I try to preview a report with parameters being prompted. The parameter fields are just simple text boxes. Error does not occur when parameters are set to null.

I'm running Crystal Reports XI Release 2 Version 11.5.11.1470 on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. Has anyone seen this error? If so how can I resolve it

Regards,

Scott

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this,

Title: Error: "List of Values failure"prompt.dll Error code: 0x8004380D"

Symptom

In Crystal Reports, reports using List of Values (LOV) based on a Business View are refreshed and after 5 minutes an error message appears:

Prompting failed with the following error message: "List of Values failure: fail to get values. [ Cause of error: CORBA_SystemException ].

Error source: prompt.dll Error code: 0x8004380D".

Cause

This error message appears because there is a firewall between Crystal Reports and BusinessObjects Enterprise XI that is preventing the LOV from bringing back the data.

Resolution

Turn off or disable the firewall.

Alternately, specify a CORBA port using an updated version of CRLOV.DLL that lets you choose one port for CORBA to use. Obtain the appropriate file by doing the following:

Download the file update from the Downloads area of our web site.

Open C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\java\crconfig.xml in a text editor.

In the <DataDriverCommon> section add <BOEOrbPort>n</BOEOrbPort> where n is the number of the desired inbound port to use for CORBA.

Enable that port on the firewall to accept inbound traffic (along with the other ones Crystal Reports uses).

The LOV reports run correctly.

Thanks,

Vinay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a slightly different error. Would that apply to a workstation where both Crystal Reports and Business Objects Enterprise are located on the same PC and drive, Windows Firewall is disabled and the user is an Admin on the machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The log file under the Business Objects Enterprise directory has the following error:

Timestamp ProcessID ThreadID Message

[Wed Mar 25 18:34:54 2009] 2380 1244 assert failure: (.\engine.cpp:247). (false : PromptEngine: process prompting failed with unexepected exception!).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the event viewer for the log to check which file is missing or corrupted I think there must be some dll file missing, This generally happens when Prompt.dll is corrupted.

If you would able to find that dll then copy that dll from a machine where it's working and paste to the problematic machine in the folder where all the dlls are there

i.e. replace the corrupt dll with a working dll

If the above step would not help then we need to reinstall CR.

For reinstallation refer this [thread|;

Sincerely,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is nothing in the event viewer at the time when this error occurs. Just to be safe, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Release 2 and I'm still receiving the error. I've disabled both Windows Firewall and Symantec Endpoint Protection to no avail. Any other suggestions. I very much appreciate the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the process of reinstallation have you deleted the old registry values and also you can replace the prompt.dll from the running machine to the non running machine.

Sincerely,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Is this issue observed with one user or all the users. If its with one user then please follow the below steps.

1. Close everything (applications) you have open on your computer.

2. Copy dll's ICUIN30.DLL and ICUUC30.DLL from the computer which is working or from any other computer into C:\winnt\system32 folder.

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

replacing the dlls worked. Thank you. Just for reference, what do those dll files do?

Thanks again,

Scott

Answers (0)