cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H/W Migration, Oracel upgrade and Re-org

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade our old IBM h/w to new IBM Box on which SAP running, Oracle 9i to 10g upgrade and database reorg.

Is it wise to do all to gether at the long weekend or after migrate to new H/W we have to run the system for some days to check that how the SAP performance on new box then upgrade to oracle 10g then monitor for few days then go for reorg. Could you please give your valuable views.

Thanks,

Harish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harish,

> Is it wise to do all to gether at the long weekend or after migrate to new H/W we have to run the system for some days to check that how the SAP performance on new box then upgrade to oracle 10g then monitor for few days then go for reorg

The best way to do so is a system copy and test your performance on the new hardware after all the upgrades .. otherwise you can not do a forecast. The migration from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g can have many traps, so you have to test it carefully.

I also wrote a little blog about that topic how you can reduce the manual effort:

/people/stefan.koehler/blog/2009/02/09/oracle-real-application-testing-with-sap

So i can only suggest:

1) Install your new IBM hardware and AIX

2) Make a system copy

3) Upgrade the oracle database and reorg

4) Test your critical processes

That's the safest way.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks very much for the reply.

It means that we should not do all three tasks together.

We will do as per your suggesion :

1. H/W migration (then we check the preformance of the system for few days)

2. Oracel upgrade (-do-)

3. Database re-org

Thanks once again.

Harish

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harish,

> We will do as per your suggesion ..

No you misunderstood. My suggestion is to make a system copy of your production system to your new IBM hardware and test your critical processes after the upgrade and reorg.

After all your tests are o.k., you can do the productive migration to the new hardware and upgrade / reorg your oracle database.

Regards

Stefan