cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of IS MEDIA with SAP PP module and PPI (Partner solution)

former_member49779
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a specific query regarding usage of production planning module in connection with SAP SD or MSD module as well as integration with Partner solution such as PPI Media.

We are trying to position SAP best practice solution for one of the leading news paper/media company in the middle east region based in Dubai.

They have already installed *IS MEDIA solution (MSD and MAM)* and now they are planning to implement complete ERP solution by replacing their existing legacy system (J.D Edwards).

Currently they are on ECC 6.0 version and planned ERP solutions is supposed to be on ECC 6.0 EHP3 level.

The scope of the project is to implement and integrate SAP ERP (PP, PM, MM, FICO, and HCM) modules with their existing IS MEDIA solution and other 3rd party system.

They are first trying to do a prototype/proof of concept and one SAP partner is involved.

We as an SAP is currently doing a solution review/quality review for them and in a long-term our goal is that we can place SAP as an implementation partner.

In the area of production planning they have different news paper divisions such as:

1) Daily News paper printing

2) Commercial printing for magazine

3) Third party order printing

It seems a typical make to order scenario that is quite specific for media/news paper industry. I have seen some success stories with customers such Times of India and New York time as they have implemented end to end scenario with complete integration to SAP and PPI solution form partner

There major concerns are:

How to integrate their existing IS MEDIA MSD to their production planning area--> Are there standard integration between MSD and PP

Ideal scenario is that the sales order gets created in SD(MSD) and then planned order can be automatically generated and then converted into Production Order with all the job order details.

Currently they are sending email with print order details such as quantity and some classification for news papers and other email with pagination details they are receiving from PPI system.

See Slide no.6, 15 and 16 to get an idea how partner solution is integrating and delivering certain functions and feature in PP area combining with SAP IS MEDIA.

http://www.sap.com/community/webcast/2007_06[SAP and PrintNet integrated solution|http://www.sap.com/community/webcast/2007_06_summit_in/2007_06_summit_in_076.pdf]

What kind of planning and capacity requirement features do we have in ERP--> Anything specific for media related industry such as news printing machines and related activities (I know that in APO/SCM we do have such capabilities for detail planning and scheduling but what about standard ERP)

For certain specific orders they would like to do cost estimation by using complex conditions and dependencies such paper quality, paper size and thickness etc.

I have proposed them Variant configuration possibility in SD

I would appreciate if you can provide some high level information on the above mentioned areas or provide us relevant contact.

Many Thanks and best regards,

Nayyar

Edited by: Nayyar Syed AHMED on Mar 25, 2009 3:57 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member1052317
Participant
0 Kudos

First let me tell you what I understood, IS-Media along with PPI is already implemented and the company wants to implement the other SAP modules like PM, PP, etcetera.

What modules of PPI are being used there? Is PPI integrated with IS-Media Advertising Management ? And as per the pdf link you provided, production planning and integration between MSD and PPI should be possible in PrintNet. And for this the PPI should be integrated with the printing machines and the production planning should be done in PPI and not in SAP. Contact PPI for more information.

Moreover, are they using PPI for Editorial as well ?

Please be more specific

former_member49779
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Expert,

Thanks for the input.

They are using PPI for pagination and editorial and as far as I know it is link with SAP IS MEDIA. The modules they are using are:

PlanPag, AdPag, AdDispo, AdMan, ProPag.

They would like to use SAP PP in order to automize and integrate production planning (printing and complete Job Ticket processing at Shop Floor) with MM and FI to have complete end to end process integration within SAP.

So my question in simple word is if you know of any customers that are using SAP PP module integrated with SAP IS MEDIA and other modules.

I have seen certain success stories (Times of India and New York Times) recently where end to end integration has been mentioned.

Regards,

Nayyar

former_member1052317
Participant
0 Kudos

As per my knowledge, the modules you mentioned in PPI are only used for advertising management and not as an Editorial system. I mean to place the display and classified ads, pagination of ads and in final page making. By using these modules the advertising section would take the final page and give it to the editorial and they would give the final page for printing.

And Yes, the SAP PP module can be integrated with SAP IS-Media module to be precise with the SAP IS-Media Sales and Distribution module. But it is not a single step where in I can say do this and the integration happens. There are a lot of business decisions which have to be taken by the client and to give any suggestion we shuold know the current process and how they want it in the future.

I know my answer is vague and not to the point as I can not say that this is how it happens.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are many things involved in it.

First of all the MSD materials are non valuated and non stock materials, so mostly in media industry they do not use production planning module.

One more reason for this is that the life cycle of the material they produced is 1 day. and the cost of production is always higher then cost of sale , because there reveneu comes basicaly from advertisements.

so my suggestion is that if you want to integrate the MSD and PP together then how you are going to plan the production, since normaly the no of pages needs to be printed on D day , mostly they will finalise on D-1 day for main paper and for suppliments may be D-2 days.

also the no.s of pages also finalised on the same time when they finalise the no. of copies to be printed.

Also the most expensive part in printing industries is newsprint, which i think 80% of production cost rest is ink and plates.

And most of the printing industries do not have information that how much quantity of newsprint was consumed in a particular edition , similarly is the case with ink.

So with the use of PP you can use materials planning, and regarding scheduling also you can not tell in advanced , since the time gap between plan and production is very less.

Also with stadrad R/3 you can not plan which edition to be printed on which machine and when.

so insted of doing std. PP with MSD integartion , i suggest use them seperately.