Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP content Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Please explain me about this Content Server? Is it a seperate server which

is going to be connected with SAP ECC6.0 ?

Tell me whether if I want to put huge documents in SAP DMS then this content server is required.or not?

how to install or configure content server?

Please answer

Thx

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

CS is a separate instance but you can decide if you want to have it on the same machine as the SAP system or on a separate server. If you are going to store big documents itu2019s recommended to use a CS. I think that the CS is included in the SAP license so you only pay for the HW.

You first install the CS and during the installation you can decide if you want to create a DB. You also set up the web server during the installation. The web server is used to access the CS and the underlying DB. You can run the CS on both UNIX and Windows. The installation process is not complicated but you might need some help from a Basis person.

Installation steps:

1. Install CS

a. Install DB/file

b. Install for example IIS web server (windows)

c. Set up security

2. Config the content repository in [CSADMIN]

3. Create certificate and send to the CS

4. Config in [OAC0]

5. Config in [OACT]

I hope this will help you!

Best Regards,

Kristoffer P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for fast reply,

Suppose I install CS and created the DB, you can decide if you want to create a DB? plz explain

why do we require this web server?

Cant we access the CS and DB without Webserver?

And if I create a document in SAP ECC 6.0 then will it get stored in the content server?

How to view the document created in SAP ECC6.0 ?

Please answer

Thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nagar,

The content server saves data either in DB or in the filesystem. So you have to either one, while installation.

The basis of the content server is the Content server engine. The engine is either implemented as an ISAPI extension on the Microsoft Internet Information Server, or as a server module for the Apache Web Server.

The engine receives all URLs, checks their validity, and triggers the processing of requests.

So we need a Web Server cumpulsorily.

The Webserver contains the necessary drivers for the DB or file system. So without Webserver we cant access both CS and DB.

And storage location for the CS needs to be configured while storing the documents.

Thanks and Regards,

Kavitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Harika,

when we create a document in CV01N in SAP DMS then it gets stored in CS data base and to create or store huge documents then storage location should be configured for CS right.

And suppose if we create a document in CV01N and go toCV03N to display it then will it go to content server DB and picks the document and displays it in SAP DMS right?

Please answer

Thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kavita,

We too are starting with DMS implimentation? I have read some of your replies in SDN. Can you please help me on following.

We have ECC 6.0 on Solaris and oracle DB. Can you please guide how shall we go ahead with DMS.

1. Can we have Oracle as DB or someone told me Content Server needs MaxDB only.

2. Why do we need Apache and IIS on unix and windows repectively.

3 What is the use of Easy DMS and how is it differ from DMS?

4. Normal hardware requirement.

Thanking you and regards,

Manish Gatha

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

A-1] ucan use any DB depends on Cleint reqiuire ment, preferrable MaxDB.

A-2] that is for SAP standard practice and u have to provid certification.

A-3]SAP Easy Document Management:- supports you by letting you use the extensive functions of SAP Easy Document Management without having detailed knowledge of SAP Document Management. You can create public and private folders, which are documents in SAP document management, in hierarchical structures, and then save your files there.

SAP Easy Document Management displays the hierarchical structure of your documents and folders in your SAP document management system in the style of Microsoft Windows Explorer.

SAP DMS:- A document is a carrier of information. This information is either for the user/person responsible or for exchanging between systems. A document contains information that can be stored and it can take many different forms (such as technical drawings, graphics, programs, or text). When complete, this information gives a full description of an object.

We use the term document info record to refer to the master record in the R/3 System that stores all the business information for a document. While the document info record contains the metadata for a document (such as the storage location), the original file (for example, the design drawing) contains the actual information in the document.

The document info record offers simple and intuitive navigation. You can use a pushbutton or tab index to execute the most important functions

Benakaraj E S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please create a different thread and post your question.

kavitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nagar,

yes, whenever u create a document through cv01N then it gets stored in the SAP DMS or or u can store them in CS. Also for storing huge documents the storage location should be CS.

Any document stored in content server/DMS can be accessed through CV02N or CV03N transactions.

regards

kavitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha

I worked as SAP DMS end user. I know how to create/find/display/change/check-out/check-in documents in SAP-DMS. I was asked to develop a SAP-DMS module for our a new project where i joined recently. I don't know any process of Installation, Configuration, Customizing and Implementation process of SAP-DMS. I am scared about my job. It would be very helpful if you help me out from this problem.

If you have any documents / Screen shots please share it.

Thanks & Regards

Roshini