cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web service info needed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to WebService concept. I was asked to create a function on our R3 system to call a webservice to fetch and process the data on that remote system. Is this possible and how? I have gone through the SAP tutorial to create an RFC fm and publish a WebService from it. Is it any different from the application I have to create?

Thx in advance and best regards,

Ali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you really have an R/3 system (not ECC), it is possible to call a web service but it is not supported and not recommended because you cannot create a proxy and you have to code the call at low level.

If you really want to take this risky path check

[Basic Web Service Call|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/2d/64d023e74911d6b2e400508b6b8a93/frameset.htm]

The real client proxy is possible since WAS 6.40.

We had this same need with R/3 4.7 and what we did was to write a .NET "RFC to Web service connector" using the SAP .NET connector.

It works great and when we will upgrade to ECC6 we waill be able to get rid of this "connector".

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier,

Thx for the answer. I also checked Thomas Jung's article on consuming web service with ABAP. We have SAP 6.0 so I think there won't too much technical problem.

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this a serious question?

Are you seriously asking us if Consuming a Webservice is conceptually the same as Running a Webservice ?

Sometimes this makes me cry....

Former Member
0 Kudos

And then come the answers totally unrelated to the question...

Sometimes this makes me cry again...I think I am goin to apply for a mod job...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anton,

Apologies for any wrong doings.

But can you kindly throw some more light on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ali wrote "I was asked to create a function on our R3 system to call a webservice...on that remote system".

As far as I can read, you are explaining how to "create a webservice on (our) R3 system".

IMHO your contribution is not related to the original question, well, apart from the fact that both are somehow related to webservices.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anton,

I admit my mistake here in understanding the question itself, as you have rightly pointed out.

But dont you think there are two questions which are different in the post itself.

According to you first Ali talks about:

"I was asked to create a function on our R3 system to call a webservice...on that remote system".

This means he has to call a webservice existing on a XYZ system from SAP

and the second point is where Ali says:

"I have gone through the SAP tutorial to create an RFC fm and publish a WebService from it."

This according to me means a RFC FM needs to be called as a web service.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thnks

Apologies again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Funny discussion...

1) he has gone through a tutorial explaining how to create a webservice on "our system" out from RFCs; therefore actually he doesn't need your answer on creating webservices since he already found out himself.

2) he seems to needs somone to explain the conceptual difference between a service and a service consumer, which, IMHO, is such a trivial question (at least for a forum on Enterprise SOA) that one should be able to find out before coming here

(3) if anything else, he needs someone to explain how to consume a webservice, which in turn has been explained a trillion times on SDN;

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anton,

Everything is well that ends well.

I think Ali also might have got his answers

Thanks anyways for all your clarifications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ali,

Yes you are going absolutely correct and what you are thinking is possible

1) We either use a standard FM or BAPI to be called as a web service

2) We expose a webservice out of that FM/BAPI

3) We publish the webservice using t-code wsconfig/soamanager

4) We get a wsdl file for that web service. Wsdl file is required for the semantics so that consumer can understand how the webservice works. (inputs and outputs)

5) Call the service from application

Thnks