cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to duplicate return of RFC.Exception Application error to test fix

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am calling a RFC using a sync step in an BPM process. I am checking for system error and have an exception branch. However we got the below error (probably due to the ECC system not being available at that precise moment or something) which was not trapped by the exception alert handling because this comes in as an Application error and not a System error. My questions are :

1) How to handle this return of .Exception message so that the BPM raises the alert in the exception branch? I have read in other threads that we need to assign the below message structure as the Fault Message and set this under the Exceptions property of the Synchronous send step. If this is true, I am mostly interested in the below question so I can test this.

2) How to duplicate this issue? I am not sure when exactly the .Exception message is returned on a RFC call, this is not configured anywhere on the ABAP side.

<rfc:ZRFC_GET_DATA.Exception xmlns:rfc="urn:sap-com:document:sap:rfc:functions">

<Name>RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION</Name>

<Text>CPIC-CALL: CMRCV on convId: 01667803

LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode

ERROR connection to partner broken

TIME Mon Mar 16 11:21:51 2009

RELEASE 640

COMPONENT NI (network interface)

VERSION 37

RC -6

MODULE niuxi_mt.c

LINE 905

DETAIL NiPRead (xx.xx.xx.xx/yyyy, hdl 64)

SYSTEM CALL recv

COUNTER 2

</Text>

<Message>

<ID>RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION</ID>

<Number>null</Number>

</Message>

</rfc:ZRFC_GET_DATA.Exception>

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the error resolved means that the RFC is working fine?

I think this error due to the RFC destination set to Non-unicode which is expecting unicode option

Check the R/3 machine whether it is unicode or not try to set the RFC destination option of unicode in other way and check the error getting replicated or not

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

setting the destination to non-unicode does not duplicate the error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

otherwise delete the listener on r/3 and check but error will be diff erent i guess.

anyway you want to check action in case of erros right? once done recreate the destination

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Disabling listener will give system error. Application error will be when the RFC call fails when the channel itself is green meaning connection is there when the call in invoked but for some reason refused after it reaches ECC. I have seen people discuss that Application errors like this can be caught using the Fault message but nobody suggests how they would test such a setup. Is there no way to simulate an Application Error on a RFC call?