cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade ECC 5 to 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

What are the requirements to make this upgrade, is this a technicall upgrade only or it needs the functional consultants.. current productive systems running on ECC 5.0 has some in house ABAP development.

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Unjoss

The following link may be useful to you for documents on upgrade

1. http://www.sapdb.info/adm326-upgrade-to-ecc-60-mysap-erp-2005/

2. http://service.sap.com/inguides

--> SAP Components

--> SAP R/3 Enterprise

--> (choose your version)

at the bottom there is an "Upgrade guide" for Windows and Unix.

For Upgrades it is recommended to read ALL the notes mentioned in the

upgrade guide and to make sure one is using

- the correct version of the "tp" program

- the correct version of the "R3trans" program

- the correct version of the "R3up" program

All that is explained in the upgrade guide and in the corresponding notes.

regards

Chen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Unjoss

The upgrade guide on OSS will have this information in the first few chapters.

Please have a look at a few points of concern that we faced while doing such an upgrade

1. The Cost of Logging

Some of you may already know that you can't turn off [transaction] logging in db2 for z/os. Turning off transaction logging is an important part of the ECC upgrade process, and for good reason, since the upgrade process eats up a huge number of logs, and you seldom need to perform any kind of point in time recovery since the upgrade program can rerun each step.

In the SAP SERVICE MARKETPLACE you can find some information on the upgrade procedure's requirements from the various servers and databases. Note 815203 will even tell you how much free space you require. But I haven't found an official document that addresses the logins issue, so I guess there isn't one. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that my recent experience shows that upgrade from ECC5 to ECC6 generates around 500MB of transaction log data, and if you use dual logging it will add up to 1TB of data, so be prepared.

2. Profile Parameter Issues

a. Save your [old] instance and default profiles before the upgrade.

b. Save your [old] instance and default profiles before the upgrade.

c. Save your [old] instance and default profiles before the upgrade.

d. Save your [old] instance and default profiles before the upgrade.

e. Review the new profiles, make sure you haven't lost important non-standard parameters, also note that some of the memory related parameters have changed, they are given default values , and this is probably not optimal for your system.

f. Review the shadow instance profile before the upgrade. At the very least consider adding the following parameters to it :

dbs/db2/use_wlm=1

dbs/db2/use_accounting = 1

3. Performance Tips

a. Change the wlm settings so that the sapgen and sapbatch enclaves get high priority. Usually, the sapgen and or sapbatch enclaves are given lower priority then the sapdiag and or sapupdate, keep in mind that the upgrade does most of the work using R3trans/R3load process which create sapgen enclaves.

b. Keep reviewing the sql statment cache throughout the upgrade process, you may find heavy sql statments. Personally, I haven't found any, but that doesn't mean you won't.

4. Misc Errors

a. The prepare may fail with an error about tables that have CHAR columns (as opposed to VARCHAR columns). In my systems the all the tables where named DSN.... they all belonged to IBM'S "VISUAL EXPLAIN" AND "OPTIMIZATION SERVICES CENTER", so I just dropped the tables and all was well.

b. Error - pe0353 "outstanding db conversions found" (in phase cnv_chk_imp). You will find a list of the tables/objects in the put/log directory. You should be able to use transaction se14 to display each table and "manually" complete the failed conversion. If you see QCM tables in the list, those are temp tables used during incremental conversion, you can generate a list of them (and then drop them) in transaction se14 -> menu "extras" -> invalid tmp objects

c. Recreating the abap "WHERE USED LIST". In the upgrade master guide you are told to recreate the abap "where used list" in your dev systems by running report SAPRSEUB (note 28022) during the post upgrade activities. Since I am a good sysadmin, and I do what I am told ( i.e. i ran the report SAPRSEUB), I came across the following error after a few hours - I saw that job EU_INIT was also running for several hours, it too runs report SAPRSEUB. So I had two very intensive jobs running in parallel and doing the same thing.

If I am not mistaken job EU_INIT is executed when a developer enters transaction se38, so I recommend you either: a) wait until your execution of report SAPRSEUB ends before you open the system for your users; or b) you don't run the report manually, let it be "automatically" scheduled by a developer (only one EU_INIT job can run at any one time) or manually run report SAPRSEUB under jobname EU_INIT.

5. DB2 for Z/OS DBA Cockpit Warning

The new version of CCMS for db2 on z/os called db2 dba cockpit is delivered with sap_basis 700 sp12. In practice, if you upgrade to this sp level, you will be forced to import several notes in order for the ccms to work at all. These notes contain dozens of fixes [if not the entire ccms for db2 code]. Moreover, I have found some missing functionality in the dba cockpit the existed in the previous versions of the db2 for z/os ccms [I have opened an oss on this issue, and i think it will be fixed in the very near future]. So please keep all of this in mind when you plan your upgrade.

I hope this would help you

Regards

Chen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, This post should be moved to the correct forum (Upgrade 6.0)

In reference to your question, Yes you will need functional consultants also because as you mention, you have some in house made Abap developments but think changes won´t be that much.

Good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, thank for reply. Apologize if this is not the right forum.

Do you know an aproximated time this task can be done ?