cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reg : offline redo log files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to know the purpose of offline redo log files .It is taking up too much of space .I want to delete the files .Can i go ahead.If we don have a system backup can we restore the system with offline redo log files .

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

An offline copy of an online redo logs is called an archived redo log. You must run the database in ARCHIVELOG mode to archive redo logs

Generally online redo logs are of fixed size. typically 50 MB (We can change this value through parameters)

Offline redo log files are used in system recovery. Especially, when you want to perform point-in-time recovery. When we set Archive logging option to 'on' in database; offline redologs will be generated. This will ensure the system recovery. Normally for a production system we will mirror these offline redo-logs and then store it on tapes or some other disk. FYI...I have pasted below information.

Importance of Redo Log Files

When you want to perform a complete recovery, to recover the data to the (committed)

state the data had at the moment of crash, you need all the offline and online redo log

files written from the point in time of the last database backup.

If a file is missing from the chain of offline redo log files, a restore of subsequent

offline redo log files and corresponding recovery of the database is not possible. You

can then only perform a point-in-time recovery, using all offline redo log files older

than the lost one. This will result in a loss of data changes performed from the point in

time of your lost offline redo log file. Therefore, you should keep at least two copies

of all offline redo log files on disks or on tapes.

Cheers!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ambarish,

Please dont delete the offline redo log files

You can restore the system if you have the full offline backup till the point you want to restore,but suppose if you have online backup you will need those redo log files for restore.

What you can do is archive those offlline redo log files

please go through the follwoing link,it will be highly useful

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45b/helpdata/en/0d/d2fe034a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm

Rohit

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ambarish,

just check the documentation:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/backrec.htm#sthref2341

Regards

Stefan