cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Profile,Coding mask and Validation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I am trying to do a Validation based, on project profile and coding mask. I am setting up Validation as follows:

PROJ-PROFL = 'ABC'

PROJ-PSPID LIKE 'C++++++' (I want to start project with C followed by 6 numbers).

The system is validating for C as well as numbers beyond 6 (i.e. 7,8 etc). But its allowing me to create project with numbers less then 6 like C-1,C-11 or C-123 etc. How do I create this rule so that users are able to create proj starting with C and followed by exact 6 numbers. For e.g - C-000001,C-000005 etc.

Also how do I represent "-" (hyphen) in my Validation? Is it represented by "+" , which I guess is a wild character and shld be fine.

Thanks

Sarang

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This can also be controled out side validation.

in OPSK check the EDIT & SL tick mark your problem will get solved. You can only use validation for the Project profile. slection.

Define Project coding mask in OPSJ C-000000 based on your requirement.

(As you have ticked EDIT / SL ticked now sys will only alllow you to created defined project coding maks with same lenth only )

If your requirment is large say for more project profiles than you have to chekc for the validations only. Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ntin,

System is not allowing me to reset SL, as project exsists in system (although this is my development envronment and not production). What can be done in this case ?

Thanks

Sarang

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you have no projects starting with C you should be able to create the coding mask

do not worry about the SL indicator

follows Nitin advise without SL indicator

make sure Edit is ticked and you are able to create coding mask C-xxxx

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have already created coding mask with C-XXXXX and the edit box is checked, then my question is can I restrict users to create proj defn as above.

I have set up validation rule as mentioned in initial post, however the system validates only if the alphanumeric character i.e. X is greater then 5, it allows to create proj with C and any number of alpha numeric character less then 5(4,3,2,1).I want user to use exact 5 alphanumeric character such as C-00001.

Please advise.

Thanks

Sarang

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Project coding maks can become very troubleful sometimes weather we are working it with in dev. also..

whenever you are going to customise for the project coding maks. in dev. first make the settings in OPSK that only edit mask is allowed so , bymiske somebody not able to create any project with out edited field. And down that line that created project not alllows you to customise req. codimg mask.

2. does you all the chekcings with only one coding maks say for example like C- 00000 in your case.

3. Till the time you does not finalise your maks. don't REL any proejct ( I mean don't plan any cost activity on that ) This is because if you wanted to update the project coding mask you can does just simple deleting you projects. & update the project coding maks & again create test projects.

4. Now coming to your real problem

First delete all the projects / WBS in sys. with mask C-XXXXX.

Delete the project cdoing mask in OPSJ -->Save

Create project coding mask with C-0000 / C-0000 press enter ( sometimes, if you try to create with C-00000 sys. will give some sort of error message .. This is little bit tricky ) Than after change the same to your required. C-00000. ( here I request you to make it something like C-00000-000-000-00 )

So, it will cater you WBS coding reqment.

Regards

Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitin

In OPSK edit box is already checked for me. But I guess that is not enough for maintaning the exact length. I also need to check SL tick as suggested by you in earlier post.So that project is created with exact length of coding mask i.e. C-00000 and not C-0 or C-000 or C-0000 etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the SL box is string lengnth for the project ID - in your case that is not ticked

to the left of this there is a box PL with a value in it

this means you can create projects with

C-00000

AB-00000

the SL indicator if ticked will only allow the project ID to be the lenght specified in PL

However with Edit ticked as you have not defined AB-00000 you will not be able tos use it

If you use numerals after project ID e.g. C-000000 then with edit ticked you should be fine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nitin and Virendara.

I checked as per your suggestions. I came up with some wierd thing. I created 2 coding masks. The edit box is checked in OPSK. The coding mask I defned are as follows:

S .00000.0000.000

R -XXXXX-XXXX-XXX

The edit functionality works perfectly with coding mask S.00000.0000.000 i.e it creates project defn with S and followed by 5 numbers for example. S.00001. But when I now use R its behaving in different way i.e. with R it is allowng me to create with R-1,R-11,R-111,R-1111 & R-11111.I am expecting to create project only with R-11111 and not others as mentioned above.

Am I missing something or has it to do something with use of "0 - Numeric" and "X - Alphanumeric" ?

Please throw some light.

Thanks

Sarang

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have checked in system. What you are telling sys is behaving exactly same.. At this point of time I am not sure why system is alllowing us to create project eventhough edit is ticked with X type mask. But there may be some logic as system is allowing us...

Good point to came to notice. Let us wait, Virendra can add on it.

Regards

Nitin

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you must use numerals

if you use X - alpha numeric the system get confused and has to allow all possible options

with numerals it is simple

c-1 will become C-00001 etc

I have always recommended use of numerals for coding mask as numerals provide systemic ascendency and is useful for developments etc

You will also notice that with XXX your find number functionality also gets confused

nitin_patoliya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Virendra thanks for clarification.

Regards

Nitin P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys.

I guess have to live with "0" - NUMERALS instead of "X" - ALPHANUMERIC charcters

Closing the thread

Thanks

Sarang