cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison between SAP PI and Sonic ESB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey all,

We are in a blueprint phase implementing SAP CRM 7.0 at a rather big company in the Banksector. Currently, this company is using Sonic ESB allready to interface data to local Bank offices and I need to position SAP PI against this Sonic ESB tool with Pro's and Con's. This Sonic ESB is the only way possible to communicate with the local bank offices (Progress application). I have been looking around on SDN for some pro's en con's.

Advantages PI :

- Synchronous & Asynchronous communication is possible.

- Monitoring is better than any other middleware product.

- When you need to integrate with an SAP system XI has an advantage in supporting various SAP reusable components.

- Mappings and adapters are good as comparable with any other middleware product.

- Quality of Service (dependent on Adapter).

- Error handling and Sloving the error easrier.

- Standard SAP Business content available.

- Integrate with SAP and Non SAP applications (best integrating platform for SAP communication).

- It has the feature of business process management(BPM).

- SOA enabled

Desadvantages PI :

- PI is lacking full-fledged Message Queue.

- PI lacks in ability to process huge messages.

I don't really know what this Sonic ESB system is, how it works but it seems to be a 'real' integration platform but I get confusing input. I wonder if these statements are correct :

- Only messaging system - message bus technology

- Because of this message based technology, lack on Quality of Service

- Poor monitoring, poor error recovering.

- Limited BPM possibilities.

- SOA enabled.

Is there anybody who can really judge this ? other (des)advantages that I am missing ? Is there anybody who has experience on how SAP PI can communicate with Progress w/o this Sonic ESB (is it possible at all) ?

Tks for your input,

Hugo.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JoelTrinidade
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hugo,

We consultants are sometimes in very tight positions where we are faced with not only the task of promoting our own competencies but at the same time exploit the weakness of others. I see that you have mentioned quiet a few disadvantages of ESB here are a few more.

• Value of the ESB requires many disparate systems to collaborate on message standards.

• Without forward planning, the versioning of messages between systems can cause tight coupling instead of the intended loose coupling.

• Vendor depending, it requires more hardware to run.

• New skills might be needed to configure ESB.

• Extra translation layer when compared to regular messaging solutions.

• For effective implementation, requires a mature IT governance model and a well-defined enterprise strategy to be in place already.

Now , Hugo remember that each of this disadvantage is a advantage for us. You only need to exploit these weaknesses while pushing PI down the throats of your to be customers.

Regards

joel