cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is WebDynpro a good fit for static html content?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi WebDyn Pro's,

I am running EP6 SP14.

I need to expose a very simple web application from the portal. The application flow is at most two-pages deep. There is a start page with links to 3-4 secondary pages. The start page provides overview content with hyperlinks to each of the secondary pages.

The start pages as well as the secondary pages contain only "STATIC" content. There are no buttons, and no input fields, etc. Each of the pages will contain a background image.

1. Is this sort of application a good fit for WebDynpro?

2. The WebDynpro tutorials that I can find do not provide guidance on how to develop this sort of simple web application. Can anyone provide codes examples/tutorials on how to do this in WebDnypro?

Thank you.

Kevin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Kevin, for simple static pages, it may be better to develop these using straight HTML, I think that webdynpro comes with a lot of "background" code that really wouldn't be relevant for you . It is "beefier" than straight html pages. Although, I would try to develop it using webdynpro, and see if you see anything that pops out. I doubt that anything will.

Developing this application is going to be very simple and will require no code(or very little) You can check out the tutorials at this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/42/ca29652fe86babe10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Regards,

Rich heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rich for your feedback.

Your thoughts match mine. WebDynpro doesn't seem to be a good fit for that sort of application. It's good to hear another confirm, because I am a WebDynpro beginner.

One last quick related question. To expose that same simple HTML application inside the portal, would a better answer be to create a J2EE Netweaver application and just code the HTML pages manually?

Thanks,

Kevin

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Not sure how you would go about it in NWDS, but all you really need is a simple html file residing on the portal, where you can just create an iView from that.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for more feedback Rich. Actually, my first approach was to do as you say below, but I found it a bit frustrating to continue down that path. While my HTML files are static, the content on the pages change from week to week.

I'd be very interested in knowing how you deal with these issues. Here are the limitations I saw with the static HTML file residing on the portal:

1. It is very painful process to deploy new versions of the HTML. The J2EE Server's cache was continuously displaying old content. I needed faster turnaround and a less painful process for displaying HTML content in the live environment.

2. My pages need to integrate with the portal using the EPCF navigation model.

3. The HTML developers develop the application using NetWeaver Developer Studio. There would be efficiencies, therefore, to run it on NW.

Thoughts?

Kevin